Student fees pay for SURC

The SURC is likely to go through some big changes in the next couple of years, including a remodeled dining area and new entry doors.

Dez Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

Over $50 million is what it cost for CWU to build the SURC. CWU will be paying the bond they got loaned for the SURC until fiscal year 2034. Student Funds Financial Manager Lacy Lampkins said the Student Union and Recreation Center portion of the bond payment is about $2.4 million a year. The Wildcat Shop and Dining Services pay about $950,000 a year collectively.

The total amount is broken up into two payments, one during the spring and one during the fall. To help pay the bond, the SURC has multiple funding sources. The three main ones are the Services and Activities, Recreation Center and Student Union student fees.

A portion of the $171 students pay per quarter for the Student Union and the Recreation Center fees goes to support the bond. The other portion of the Student Union and Recreation Center fees pays for the operating costs of the entire SURC. The Wildcat Shop and Dining Services also contribute as SURC partners.

“When things come up in the SURC that need to be addressed, like if we need to redo the floors or paint all the walls, all of the partners have to chip in to make that happen,” CWU Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs Joel Klucking said.

The amount each partner pays is based off of square feet. There is a set dedicated revenue from student fees that go to the bond payment, while the Wildcat Shop, Dining Services and the SURC generate revenue to help take care of common repairs and maintenance that may come up. Lampkins said all partners are always putting money aside for future projects.

The SURC receives other revenue streams as well, such as track meets at the Recreation Sports Complex and area rentals to U.S. Bank and Outdoor Pursuit and Rentals. No state funding helps pay for the SURC, it all depends on the students.

The SURC is now 13 years old. Klucking said that they’re always going to take care of deferred maintenance projects. For example, replacing all the entry doors to the SURC this summer where a glass plate fell out earlier in the school year. The project will cost about $200,000 and is not coming out of bonds.

“The SURC was built with fewer students than we have today so there’s tons of more traffic going in there than it was really anticipated,” Klucking said. “Those doors lasted as long as they could last.”

Another project that CWU is starting to plan for is an extensive dining renovation. Klucking said it will change up the way Central Marketplace and Holmes Dining is laid out. The way it was initially designed, Holmes Dining was supposed to be isolated as an all you can eat facility. The electrical wires in the wall between Central Marketplace and Holmes Dining may make it an expensive project in the end.

“If you’re here in three years, or come back as an alumni, you’ll see a very different SURC dining situation,” Klucking said.

Upgrades already done in the SURC include redone floors, repainted walls and technical work in the SURC Ballroom. Lampkins said expansion talks are at the beginning phase. A sur