Wildcat Neighborhood Farm prepares for first season

Mary Park, Staff Reporter

What used to be an empty plot of land located at the corner of North Alder Street and East 14th Ave. is now a farm ready to yield its first produce this spring and summer.

Carrots, radishes, beets and spinach are some of the vegetable seeds that have been sown so far at Wildcat Neighborhood Farm.

Farm and Sustainability Manager Kate Doughty said she is excited to see the farm start from scratch and grow into its “pilot season.”

“It’s here, it’s happening,” Doughty said. “This is our first year, it’s the first time this has been done on our campus.”

Doughty said it was a challenge to start a project from scratch and to adapt it to the Ellensburg weather, including the city’s 20 to 30 mph winds.

The high tunnel structures, which will be completed by this summer, will help protect crops against the weather and pests.

“Those are season-extending, possibly solar-heating greenhouses,” Doughty said, looking at the construction behind the rows. “So that we’re not emitting excess carbon and can extend the [growing] season into colder months.”

Although the tunnels won’t be ready to have crops grown in them until next year, cover crops will be planted inside.

Cover crops are crops like field peas, ryegrass and clovers that are planted for specific functions such as erosion control, weed reduction and for improving nutrient content in the soil.

Once the soil is prepared, crops like tomatoes, okra and sweet potatoes will be planted.

Doughty said that the farm is currently discussing in-vessel composting to direct as much food waste as possible away from landfills and use them for farming and landscaping around campus.

In upcoming years, CWU’s Dining and Catering Services will use the locally-grown foods produced at the farm.

According to Auxiliary Enterprises 2018 Annual Report, Dining Services currently buys from local companies such as Food Services of America from Spokane and Seattle, Sysco Foods and Core-Mark.

Auxiliary Enterprises is a company responsible for business operations on campus, such as Dining and Catering and the Wildcat Shop.

Produce will also be sold at a farm stand and any leftover produce will be donated to the Presidents United to Solve Hunger (PUSH) pantries.

The farm went through a proposal process in 2017, after the idea for the project first began.

Doughty, who was involved in the research stages, said she and various partners including Dining and Catering Services, Health Sciences and Facilities Management first examined what would be suitable for CWU.

“[A] practical outdoor classroom that was sustainability-focused is what we wanted to do,” Doughty said.

After the research component was completed, a proposal was submitted to the Auxiliary Enterprises Proposal Committee. Once the committee approved the project, facilities and grounds department made sure irrigation water and other infrastructure components were available.

On April 20 volunteers from Yakima River Cleanup came to dig the soil and make the beds so that the farm was prepared to have seeds sown.

According to Doughty, the farm will provide CWU students the opportunity to do research on horticultural topics such as soil research, composting, sustainable landscaping and irrigation design. Faculty members interested in incorporating farm activities into their coursework can contact the farm directly.

“Students are the core to our entire mission,” Doughty said. “It’s been fun to connect with students and see where their interests are and try to make something that’s going to give the most benefit to them.”

Doughty said the farm is open to not only to students in the sciences, but to all majors including visual art and creative writing students, who can use the space for creative expression.

“Anyone who enjoys being in outdoor space can be part of this community,” Doughty said. “This space is centered on food, and food, to me, is the universal need and it’s a way that we connect with each other on so many levels.”

Gia Landis is a junior in environmental science specializing in geography and a volunteer at the farm. Landis said she met Doughty at the Sustainability Café last fall, and has started working with her at the farm since.

“I wanted to be part of something that would improve sustainability on campus and be outdoors, to hang out with people and garden,” Landis said. “And it’s cool to be part of an experience that’s just starting.”

Landis said among other things, she has helped plant shrubs like mock berry, mock orange and golden currant at the farm.

“I would definitely say that you don’t have to know what you’re doing to volunteer there, they’ll teach you,” Landis said. “I didn’t know how to use a [broad fork], but Kate taught me how to use it.”

Wildcat Neighborhood Farm sits right next to the CWU Campus Community Garden. Since 2013, the garden has allowed people in the community to plant in their own plot of garden beds.

The main difference is that Wildcat Neighborhood Farm will focus more on producing crops that will go toward Dining Services.

“We have a great relationship in working together and figuring out what will make this space function and how we can collaborate,” Doughty said.

Brad Esparza, a senior in anthropology, has a plot in the community garden, which he plans to sow seeds that range from brussel sprouts to bok choy. Esparza said there are many benefits to gardening.

“It’s actually pretty meditative once you get going,” Esparza said. “It’s a great way to grow your own fresh food, it’s a great way to gain knowledge [and] a way to grow community.”

Doughty also said that while gardening may not work for everyone, she believes it has a link to good well-being.

“Working with your hands in the soil has real benefits to mental health,” Doughty said.

On the Wildcat Neighborhood Farm website, students, faculty and community members can fill out a short survey to get involved at the farm by volunteering or suggesting research ideas.

“If someone has an idea that they think they can use this space for and it works with what we’re doing, I’d say please come and [share],” Doughty said.