ASCWU candidates gear up for the final vote

Rune Torgersen, Online and Social Media Manager

With about 24 hours left until the end of this year’s ASCWU election, the candidates took the stage one last time earlier today to participate in their final public debate. Set in the SURC Theatre, the event ran from noon-1:30 p.m. this afternoon and featured questions from the elections committee as well as students in attendance. All candidates were given the moderator’s questions in advance.

The debate being the final planned event for the election besides the voting itself offered candidates an opportunity to reflect on their campaigns and prepare for any last-minute efforts before the ballots are counted. Brandon Wear-Grimm, 2019-20 student government elections chairman said that he’s seen all the candidates grow as people over the course of the election.

“It kinda feels like you’re parading around a group of kids,” Wear-Grimm said. “They’re not kids, they’re grown adults, and I’m super proud of all of them.”

Jasmin Washington, one of the two candidates for ASCWU President, had to be absent from the debate for medical reasons. Her campaign manager, Jahkari Aujla-Singh took the podium in her place, communicating with Washington through a headset and delivering prepared responses to the questions presented. This was Aujla-Singh’s first time managing a political campaign, and he enjoyed how the process had unfolded.

“It’s been a really good process, all the candidates have been very professional with each other,” Aujla-Singh said. “Regardless of what the results are, people have had a lot of respect for each other, and we’ve had really good conversations.”

Brendan Dolleman, the other candidate for ASCWU President, said his campaign is ramping up its efforts over the next 24 hours in an effort to finish strong. According to Dolleman, his team had a lot on their plate over the election season, due to some unfavorable word-of-mouth.

“There’s been lots of rumors going around about me and my campaign that simply aren’t true,” Dolleman said. Dolleman did not specify what the rumors entailed.

Both Dolleman and Aujla-Singh (on behalf of Washington) emphasized that win or lose, they will continue to work to implement the kinds of changes their campaigns pushed for. Both campaigns will be prioritizing getting students to vote tomorrow over swaying their vote in one direction or the other.

Voting for the ASCWU general election will take place tomorrow, April 25. Students can vote online at ballot.votebuilder.net/cwu from 12:01 a.m. to 8 p.m. or in person in the SURC tabling area from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.