CWU Softball takes two against SMU

Bryce Weedman, Senior Sports Reporter

CWU Softball was able to sweep the two games against Saint Martin’s University (SMU) on Friday, April 19. In the first game at 1 p.m. and the second at 3 p.m., sophomore Lexie Strasser pitched seven innings and allowed one run. That one run came in the bottom of the seventh inning when sophomore Devyn Connolly hit a single up the middle of the field scoring junior Regan Byrd from third. The Wildcats scored at least one run in four of the seven innings and put up three runs in a big inning in the fourth.

CWU finished the first game with 10 hits and left 10 on base. After the Wildcats’ 6-1 win over SMU, CWU met in left field for a team meeting with head coach Mike Larabee. In game two of the double-header CWU was able to win the game 5-3. Junior Taylor Williams pitched six and one-third innings allowing one earned run, and just six hits with two walks. Strasser came in to close the game and gave up two runs in the two- thirds innings pitched.

In the first inning last weeks GNAC player of the week, unior Julia Reuble singled to left field to score one run. In the second inning sophomore Sydney Brown hit a one run homerun to left field. In the fourth inning freshman Gracee Dwyer hit a double to score a run, In the seventh inning sophomore Alycia Bannan hit a two run home-run to left field that nearly hit the apartments in left field.

“It is the same thing we do every day. Just work hard. I got a great team behind me, and I’m confident with everyone im playing with,” Williams said.

According to the GNAC website, CWU Softball now moves their overall record to 27-13 and their conference record is now 18-4. The Wildcats remain in first place in the GNAC and will play their next two games on April 20 in a double header against SMU. This time the games will be played at Gary and Bobbi Frederick Field in Ellensburg, Washington. The Wildcats have just six games left before they start the first round of the GNAC tournament on May 2.