CWU to host Inaugural Track meet at new Recreation Sports Complex

Bryce Weedman, Senior Sports Reporter

CWU will host the inaugural track meet at the new RSC (Recreation Sports Complex) this Saturday, April 13. It is the first time in two years that CWU will host a track meet. The event will start at 10 a.m. and will host schools like Spokane Falls Community College and Northwestern University. According to head coach Kevin Adkisson, the Wildcats feel they will have an advantage in the wind, which is something they haven’t been able to have in a few years.

“It couldn’t have come sooner and we’re super excited to be in a facility that is a true track and field facility,” Adkisson said. “We are excited to show it off and this will be a little smaller meet, but we are hoping that word will spread quickly that we have a great place to compete.”

The last time out, the Wildcats competed in the War XII meet in Spokane, Washington. On the women’s side, freshman Tia Hall and sophomore Sidney Trinidad won the 4×400 meter relay. Senior Mariyah Vongsaveng won the 100-meter hurdles.

“My overall goal is to get in the 59 seconds for the 400 hurdles,” Trinidad said. “I’m not looking too far forward. I have my goals, but I just want to go forward from here.”

On the men’s side, junior Daniel Calderon took fourth in the 400-meter, and junior Doc Porter and senior Michael Forster paired up to win the 4×400-meter relay. Adkisson said that both the men and women have a lot to improve on this weekend.

“I’m really excited, it’s our first track meet ever on it (RSC), so we want to leave a mark,” Calderon said. “We want to have a memorable time out here for everyone showing up and the schools visiting.”