Manweller settles wrongful termination lawsuit against CWU for $155,000

Washington House Republicans - TINYURL.COM/YC7CQC2W

Rep. Manweller on the House floor.

Mariah Valles, Editor-in-Chief

Editor’s note: This is an updated version of a story that was originally published 4/2/19.

Matt Manweller, former CWU professor and state representative, settled a wrongful termination lawsuit against CWU for $155,000 on March 28. An order of dismissal with two stipulations was placed in the Kittitas County Superior Court. Originally, Manweller sought more than $2 million.

According to Kremiere Jackson, vice president of public affairs in a statement made on April 3, the settlement included two non-negotiable stipulations made by the university. First, that Manweller agreed to not challenge his termination for cause from CWU in any forum. Second, that Manweller agreed to not be employed by the state of Washington in any capacity at any time.

The Northwest News Network (NNN) broke the news about this settlement on April 2.

In September 2018, The Observer reported that in August 2018, CWU concluded a nearly yearlong investigation into allegations by former female students of Manweller’s of inappropriate behavior. At the end of the investigation, CWU terminated Manweller’s employment. The termination took place immediately.

Manweller denied the allegations. He then filed a lawsuit against CWU for wrongful termination.

CWU previously investigated Manweller in both 2012 and 2013, but neither investigations resulted in substantiated allegations or discipline. Manweller was later promoted and CWU paid his attorney’s fees related to the earlier investigations.

Jackson said in the statement that CWU’s motivation for accepting the settlement offer was to protect the privacy of the students and supporting witnesses.

“We did not want our students to have to relive their experiences through pre-trial depositions and trial testimony,” Jackson said in the statement.

The court decided CWU and Manweller would pay for their own respective attorney and expert witness fees.