Students pay over $1,900 in fees each year

Tuition at CWU costs a full time student $2,056.50 per quarter: With student fees, that number goes up to $2,690.56

Payton Parke, Staff Reporter

Each quarter, a student at CWU will pay $634.06 in fees. Annually, this adds up to a total of $1,902.18 for a three-quarter academic year. In comparison, tuition for one quarter costs $2,056.50.

Fees are assigned to all students in order to pay for on-campus services such as the health center, tutoring and the library.

One of the larger fees that students have is the $102 fee that gives students  access to the recreation center.

The fee for the recreation center is $102 per quarter and is charged whether or not a student plans to use the recreation center. John Peterson, an undeclared sophomore, has mixed feelings about the fee.

“[I’m] not happy to pay it,” Peterson said. “It’s another fee but I understand what it goes towards so I can’t be too upset.”

Students can get this fee removed from their tuition if they don’t use the recreation center at all and don’t play any intramural sports.

Students have the sense that the school has to pay for all of these services and this may require fees.

“It is not terribly surprising of course, lower fees are better for me, but I don’t know, the school has to fund itself somehow,” Peterson said.

CWU has 11 fees that are charged to each student each quarter. These fees range from $1.00 to $237.10 each.

The largest fee that students get charged is the students and services fee at $237.10. This fee funds multiple programs ranging from Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals, to theatre arts to ASCWU Student Government.

Students can request waivers for four of the fees if they meet the requirements, Health and Counseling Fee/Student Medical and Counseling Clinic Fee, Student Union Building Fee, Student Wellness fee and the Student Recreation fee. Forms to waive a fee can be found online through the CWU website.

Fees are due at the same time as tuition. Students can view and pay their fees online at their MyCWU student account.