Yellow Church Café an icon in community

Yellow Church Café an icon in community

The Yellow Church Café, located at 111 S Pearl Street, is known in the community for its relaxed atmosphere
and homestyle cooking. The building is difficult to miss with its bright coloring.

The Yellow Church Café, located at 111 S Pearl Street, is known in the community for its relaxed atmosphere and homestyle cooking. The building is difficult to miss with its bright coloring.

Skyler Jensen-Hampton, Staff Reporter

The Yellow Church Café is owned by Oscar Guition, who has owned the restaurant for the last five years.

Guition moved from Mexico and has been in Washington for the last 25 years, cooking professionally. Guition also owns another restaurant in Roslyn called the Roslyn Mexican Grill.

“I grew up eating in a certain way. All fresh, homemade, and seasonal products and so that is how I identify my products. I cook what I was raised doing,“ Guition said. “From the building standpoint, Yellow Church is a landmark, has a unique look, and kind of has a hipster feel to it and that is why I bought this building.”

According to Guition, the Yellow Church Café offers a new seasonal dish every season. This winter they are offering braised boneless beef ribs. Along with the seasonal winter dish, the café offers daily specials during lunch and dinner. The restaurant also has a full vegan menu for those who choose not to eat animal products.

Guition recommends anyone coming in for the first time to try their biscuits and gravy for breakfast, their “holy moly” chicken sandwich for lunch and the New York steak for dinner.

“We like to invite all CWU students to come and give us a try,” Guition said. Yellow Church Café offers CWU students with a connection card a five percent discount.

Brigitte Weaver has been a server for The Yellow Church Café for over a year and has lived in Ellensburg for most of her life. She found out about the position through a friend. Weaver said what she likes most about Yellow Church Café is the food.

“It is fresh ingredients, it is local ingredients, and seasonal. So everything is just fresh and it is good,” Weaver said.

Weaver said a popular dish that people order is the “holy moly” chicken sandwich on the heavenly loaf.

The heavenly loaf is like a savory cinnamon roll. It is a cheese swirl bread topped with cheddar, parmesan and fresh herbs.

Weaver has been in the serving industry for the last 10 years. She said that the Yellow Church is different from other restaurants she has worked at because the café has preserved a historic and homey feel.

“What makes this place so special and unique is nothing is made out of a can or from a powder or anything like that,” Weaver said. “I know when I am bringing someone a plate of food, I am confident they are going to like it. Everyone always tells me they are blown away when they eat here.”

Rachel Davey is a senior at CWU and tried Yellow Church for the first time after a recommendation from a friend. She tried the eggs benedict and a chai tea.

“I had a great experience,” Davey said. “The vibe was so welcoming and the service was great. The food was delicious and I was not disappointed.”

The Yellow Church Café is open seven days a week and offers breakfast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 8 a.m. Lunch and dinner is served every day, with lunch served 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and dinner from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. They are located at 111 S Pearl Street.