Parade of Nations will showcase cultures of CWU

The+Parade+of+Nations+event+being+put+on+by+the+Diversity+and+Equity+Center+will+showcase+the+different+cultures+on+CWU%27s+campus+

The Parade of Nations event being put on by the Diversity and Equity Center will showcase the different cultures on CWU's campus

Afton Prater, Staff Reporter

CWU is recognized as being a very diverse college, welcoming students from around the globe. The Diversity and Equity Center (DEC) at CWU strives to provide education and outreach to the campus community. One way of informing and educating students about different cultures is by hosting the Parade of Nations. The annual Parade of Nations is on Feb. 20 from 6-8 p.m. in the SURC Ballroom. Roziie Cardenas gave background of what the Parade of Nations encompasses. Cardenas is the student programmer at the DEC who puts on programs that touch base with minority groups and diversity groups, and gives them equal representation around campus.

“They usually do fashion shows to show cultural pieces and clothing, and they can either sing, dance, or perform with instruments they have where they’re from. They may also share some piece of cultural information or knowledge that they would like the university to know,” Cardenas said. “It’s basically a night for them to really express themselves and to be open to showing everyone else in the university.”

There are many clubs on campus performing at this event, such as the Black Student Union (BSU), Central African Student Association (CASA) and the Filipino American Student Association (FASA), as well as international students from China. People from the Ellensburg community will also be participating, including a group that does traditional dances from Mexico featuring CWU students.

The President of CASA, Mounia Traore, will be performing with her club at the Parade of Nations. Traore is majoring in leadership and management and minoring in entrepreneurship. She is going on two years with the DEC and is currently a student program coordinator. Traore discussed that this is an event that showcases the variety of culture on campus, aiming to help people show the richness of their culture. CASA will be showcasing modern and traditional African dances and Traore is very excited to be back onstage for the Parade of Nations again this year.

The Parade of Nations has been successful in the past, and there is expected to be anywhere from 100-175 people in attendance this year. This is a place for people to connect with others and become educated about people from different cultures. Anna Kriuchkova, a senior majoring in cultural and linguistic anthropology and minoring in Asian studies, Chinese language and dance performance, sees many benefits to attending this event.

“I have noticed, as being an international student from Ukraine and of a Russian ethnicity, the difference between getting information about different cultures from the news and websites is a lot different from getting firsthand experience and from the people who have actually been there and have that heritage,” Kriuchkova said. “We’re excited to provide an opportunity for the students to tap into those cultures and learn more about them from their peers.”

Kriuchkova also expressed that a lot of international students feel alone when coming to CWU for the first time, and that an event like this provides unity and exposure to people that creates friendships. She implores students to attend and talk with the performers if they have any questions.

“I encourage people to stop by to visit and cheer on the students. Don’t hesitate after the performances to come up to the performer and talk to the performer. I know from my personal experience, I really like educating people about my culture and about my language and I feel really happy when people showcase a real interest in my heritage,” Kriuchkova said.

The Parade of Nations is a free event that will be an educational experience about different cultures, providing an atmosphere for students to take pride in their heritage.

1 Comment

One Response to “Parade of Nations will showcase cultures of CWU”

1. Donald Colson on February 18th, 2019 10:11 pm

An excellent article, well written and very informative. I wish I could attend.

• Parade of Nations will showcase cultures of CWU

Scene

Ellensburg’s hottest places

Scene

Studying abroad expands student horizons

Scene

Pride Week to represent all students

Scene

Ellensburg Farmers Market brings community together

Scene

1891 Bistro lets students study, relax any time

Scene

Girls Night Out highlights women in community

Scene

Families experience college life

Scene

Mariachi del Centro creates sense of belonging

Scene

Culture on stage at PolyFest

Scene

Central Theatre Ensemble Performs ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’