ASCWU encourages students to share opinions

President James L. Gaudino and ASCWU President Edith Rojas announced in a press release that an open listening forum will be provided to CWU’s student body on Thursday, Feb. 14 from 5:00-6:30 p.m. in the SURC Pit. The forum is being opened in response to last Wednesday evening’s active shooter emergency on campus. It is being held on behalf of the Associated Students of CWU, in partnership with the president’s office, and is free for anybody who wants to share their thoughts and concerns, provide suggestions and/or listen to others about how the active shooter incident was handled.

The open forum will have university officials on-hand to help answer questions from students about what happened. Officials will keep track of all the ideas and experiences shared during the duration of the forum and will use what’s gathered to share in future discussions about how to best properly handle emergency situations on campus moving forward.

Rojas wanted to give students the opportunity to talk about their experiences from Feb. 6 and to be heard.

If you want to share an experience or your thoughts from that evening, but don’t want to share them publicly, counseling services will be available for those who may prefer a more private discussion, according to the press release.

“All thoughts, opinions and areas that need to be fixed will be documented,” Rojas said. “Pretending nothing happened just isn’t fair, regardless if there was a shooter or not.”