Badminton brings excitement to intramural scene

The badminton competition was held on Saturday. Students had a chance to get out and play against other students in a fun, non-competitive style.

Tianbai Dun, Staff Reporter

Students recently came out swinging at the CWU badminton tournament, which was held in the SURC on Jan. 9 by CWU intramural sports.

The badminton tournament started at 11 a.m. and finished at 1 p.m. It involved a total of 26 participants. The tournament was divided into two groups, singles and mixed doubles. After three hours of intense competition, the winner for the singles group was Jacky Chan and the winners of the mixed doubles group were Takumi Mitsuya and Yasuyuki Kamijo. The winners of each bracket received this year’s intramural championship shirt as a prize.

All of the participants gathered in the recreation center to take part in the tournament, as students were able to put their badminton skills to the test. Participant Shiyan Lin earned second place in the mixed doubles group, while also placing third in the singles group. Lin said that her primary reason for participating in the badminton tournament was her friend, and fellow participant, Chan. Lin explained that when Chan decided to participate in the competition himself, he encouraged her to join as well.

“We hold this tournament because we want to engage students in the activities they are interested in,” Bishop said. “This one-day tournament is a great example of how we do our best to offer a great diversity of programs that are inclusive of everyone’s interests.”