CWU equestrian gives club sports a new name

During western ride nights, the team will ride horses on the rail then line up at the end of the arena to do loops. Here is just a small group of the team watching a demonstration of the coming pattern.

Tianbai Dun, Staff Reporter

The Equestrian club is a group on campus which was established in 2006 by a group of dedicated horse lovers who wanted to bring the world of competitive riding to CWU. They compete through the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA). One of the best things about this club is that students do not need a horse or any previous riding experience. In IHSA, riders are assigned a horse based on their skill level and will be judged on their equitation (or how they look on a horse).

The team has ride nights twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. During ride nights, their team will practice riding different horses on the rail, through a course and some of them will jump as well. Ride nights are lots of fun since they get to practice on mostly every horse in the barn. The coach, Gabby Longmire, and the team captains will give the team pointers on how to improve their equitation and better ride the horse they are on. Ride nights tend to be an hour or two long.

According to Longmire, the team has chores at the barn every day and individual lessons, if people want them. The equestrian team is split up into different sections based on special events. The team has one section that is primarily for club members who don’t compete, but get to enjoy being at the barn with  the horses. They also have the show team which is split into two categories, english riders and western riders, although most riders compete in both disciplines. English riders show equitation on the flat and over jumps, while western riders compete in horsemanship and reining. They also offer private lessons with any of the senior members. Lessons are $10 for an hour and the money goes back into the club fund for social events. The team will go to WWU next weekend, followed by some more shows before the postseason.  

Each member is responsible for their monthly board check and any other horse expenses. The CWU equestrian team is one of the largest active clubs at the university with a group of about 30 members.