CWU Dining signs contract to bring Panda Express to campus

Sean Quinn, For the Observer/CNW Reporter

CWU Dining Services has signed a contract with Panda Express, gaining CWU a license for the fast food chain to be on campus.

Roughly a year ago, a survey was sent out to students asking which nationally-recognized food businesses students would want to see on campus. Out of 500 responses, the most popular choice was Panda Express. CWU reached out to Panda Express and began working to bring the  franchise to campus.

The restaurant will be inside the new dining center currently under construction in north campus near Dugmore Residence Hall. It is scheduled to open by fall quarter 2019. CWU Executive Director for Auxiliary Enterprises, Joseph Pearson, said that Panda Express will be the main feature of the new dining hall and that while the food will come from Panda Express, the location will be run and staffed by CWU Dining Services.

In addition to Panda Express, the eating area will have a new marketplace concept called the “1891 Market.” The market will look somewhat similar to the current C-Store in the SURC but will cater more toward those looking for a variety of drinks like coffee and espresso, as well as upscale grab-and-go items..

The north campus dining expansion will be the third main dining area for students. Pearson says there is a chance more restaurants could come in the future if this dining area is successful.

“We are excited about this new opportunity for our CWU community and look forward to providing more food options to the students,” Pearson said.