Annual Friendsgiving at the Bistro

Grey Caoili, Staff Reporter

Campus Activities is starting off the time to be thankful with its second annual Friendsgiving. The event is open to all students and will include a game of trivia based off the TV sitcom “Friends” and free Thanksgiving food.

Friendsgiving will take place on Nov. 16 at 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the 1891 Bistro.

Friendsgiving is put on by three student Campus Activities programmers: Hunter Pohl who is studying computer science, Brennan Allen who is studying geography and Kaytlin Balyeat who is studying sports management.

According to Pohl, Thanksgiving food is provided by CWU Catering and students can expect turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and pumpkin pie.

Last year’s Friendsgiving had around 150 people in attendance, Pohl said.

According to the Director of Campus Activities Robbi Goninan, students are divided into six groups in order to play “Friends” trivia. The event planners made predetermined “Friends”-themed team names that each team will be able to choose from. There will be tables with each team name and students can choose which team they want to be on–there is a maximum of six students on each team. Students can expect the trivia to come from “Kahoot!,” a multiple-choice quiz platform. There will be a total of 50 questions from the entire “Friends” TV series and the team with the most points at the end of the event will be announced as the winners.

Each member in the winning group will receive a “Friends” trademarked prize.

Ideally we would like to leave out the exact prize, so it’s a surprise to the team that wins,” Goninan said.

According to Goninan, the origins of Friendsgiving came from a group of Experience Leadership Project students. In 2017, Campus Activities staff took all of the ELP students up to Camp Ghormley, in Naches Washington, for team building activities. During one of the activities, Goninan said, the ELP students broke out into groups based on their birth months and had 15 minutes to come up with an activity they wanted to see take place on campus.That year, a group of ELP students came up with the event Friendsgiving.

The 1891 Bistro is located in south campus across from Bouillon Hall. Opened in 2015, the cafe has become a great place for students to meet for study groups, individually study, or hangout between classes, and faculty to have meetings. The Bistro is overall a cozy atmosphere for everyone to enjoy. There are many comfortable couches, chairs and booths for students to sit in, and that is precisely why Friendsgiving will be held there.

Last year, according to the CWU Campus Activities web page, the event ran until 9:30 p.m. With the 1891 Bistro open 24/7 now, it can be hard to say just how late everyone in attendance will stay.