CW Barbershop: A place for the community

Meghan Rochelle

Caelsey Schmidt clips Derek Davis’s hair at the CWU Barber Shop.

Wyatt Simmons, Staff Reporter

The sound of scissors cutting hair mixed in with chatter between a client and a barber has been a part of every community around the world  for some time, and Ellensburg is no different. CW Barber Shop, located on East University Way across the street from CWU, has been in the Ellensburg area for two generations. According to the current owner Kelsey Schmitt, the institution has been open for almost 45 years, since 1973. It was founded by David Miller and was originally named Rawls Barber Shop.

Ellensburg resident Wayne Hunt has been a regular customer for six years. He appreciates what the barbershop stands for.

“It’s one of the few remaining old-style barbershops and serves the CWU community,” Hunt said.

Conversations allow people to  appreciate one another’s journey through life “Honestly, having conversations with everybody is awesome, everybody has a different conversation, everybody has a different story,” Schmitt said.

Schmitt started working at the shop in July of 2004, she became the owner of the shop in May of 2007.  

“The previous owner got arthritis and couldn’t cut hair anymore,” Schmitt said, regarding former owner David Mills. “I thought it would be easier to take over than find another job.”

With an institution that’s been a part of Ellensburg for so long, it means the world to the long-time owner. “It’s my everything,” Schmitt said. “Other people have children, I have a barbershop.”

Meghan Rochelle
Leah Lewis trims Tom Rosser’s hair at the CWU Barber Shop.

With how chaotic it can be during the day, the barbershop added two new barbers, Leah Lewis and Kassondra Merryman, to help reduce customer wait time to get a fresh cut.

Merryman and Lewis appreciate the mentorship Schmitt has provided since they were hired.

“She’s taught me so many things. I thought I was okay when I came here. I knew I was going to learn a lot but not as much as she’s taught me. It’s nuts how good she is,” Merryman, who has been part of the team since August, said.  

To help with the learning curve, Schmitt looks over every haircut the new team members give to make sure each trimming lives up to the standard the establishment has built over the years.

“I hope they learn something and take pride in their work,” Schmitt said.

Large amounts of people come and go every day, but the constant flow of customers doesn’t faze the barbershop.

“I kind of like it when it’s busy, it doesn’t bother me,” Schmitt said. “The only one that matters is the one in the chair.”

The staff realizes they aren’t just barbers to their clients.

“It’s always nice to come in and chat with your barber, they [customers] always say your barber is like your therapist,” Merryman said.

One of the keys to CW Barber Shop’s  success is the old-school practice of only accepting walk-ins, like traditional barbershops used to do.

“If we were taking time to write down appointments, it would be so much of a longer wait,” Lewis said.

According to Kelsey the walk-in business model is the most efficient way for the shop to keep things moving throughout the day. The business doesn’t have to turn customers away because the shop is waiting on an appointment.

The barber shop has a varied customer base, ranging from little kids to college students to the elderly.

“I enjoy that we get everyone in here, from people getting their first haircuts to clients who are 100 years old, and I think that’s awesome,” Schmitt said.

CW Barber Shop believes in providing great customer service at a great price. They have been part of the Ellensburg community for many years and plan on sticking around for years to come.