Kevin Brett running into retirement

Nicholas Tucker, Staff Reporter

When he started writing at 8 years old, Kevin Brett never imagined what would follow: a distinguished and accomplished career which put him in print news, California politics, the semiconductor industry and academia.

Brett is from the small town of Glendale, California where he spent most of his early life. From there he went to the University of Southern California where he got his degree in broadcast journalism in 1978.

Following college, Brett got his first job at Whittier Daily News where he covered the Los Angeles Board of County Supervisors. This fueled an already-present interest in politics, which led to a position as Press Director for George Deukmejian’s campaign to become governor of California.

“I said yes [to working on the campaign] because I was at that age when you are taking a chance, and guess what? We won, in the closest election in the history of the state,” Brett said.

Deukmejian, who passed away on May 8, is said by Brett to be the governor who changed his life.

At 32 years old, Brett was made Deukmejian’s Press Secretary on April 1, 1987.

“I never thought that I would ever do that, and to be honest I was scared,” Brett said. “This was the biggest break in my life, but the first day led to the second day, the first week became the second, and I just started doing it. Instinct kicked in.”

Brett was Press Secretary during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which led to the deadly collapse of the Cypress Street Viaduct that killed 63 people.

Following his eight-year career in politics, Brett became the Director of Communications for the Semiconductor Industry Association.

“I learned everything there is to learn about digital technology and chips,” Brett said. “I flunked geometry in high school, I’m not predisposed that way, but I learned a lot.”

From there, he got a job at LSI Logic, which is most known for making the chip that runs the original Sony PlayStation.

When the economy collapsed in 2009, Brett decided it was time to move on and attended the University of Oregon where he got his M.A. in communication and society in 2012 alongside another CWU professor, Dr. Francesco Somaini, who was earning his Ph.D. at the time.

“We were in the same core classes so we studied together,” Somaini said. “It was really easy to work with him. Kevin is one of the hardest working people I have ever known, [he’s] incredibly organized.”

For his thesis, Brett created a course called Corporate Communications and Investor Relations, which he has been teaching ever since. For this course, he also wrote the textbook called “Show Me the Money,” which is used at the University of Oregon.

“When I went to work for LSI Logic as Director of Corporate PR they said to me ‘you’re going to be doing all of the earnings releases, all of the CEO letters for the annual reports, all of the mergers and acquisitions, you’re going to do all of the restructures,’” Brett said. “I couldn’t even read an income statement, I couldn’t read a balance sheet.”

Brett realized that he hadn’t been taught how to do any of that in college, so he created a course to correct this for future students, COM 476, which he has taught for six years.

“Our role here should be to prepare students to land not only a job but a position,” Brett said. “College is to build a career, not just to put a lot of knowledge between your ears.”

Taking his place as Assistant Professor and taking over the Public Relations Student Society of America Bateman team is Public Relations Advisor Emily Duplessis.

“[Brett] brings a breadth of knowledge and has been a great asset to our faculty and our PR team,” Duplessis said. “He’s been a great colleague and friend to me. I’m excited about the position and to help shape the curriculum.”

After six years, Brett is ready to move on to the next stage in his life, which involves writing for his blog “Almost DailyBrett,” trips with his wife, and an upcoming move into a new house in the forests of Eugene.

At 63 years old, Brett is by no means done with his journey, but he is ready to come home.

“Ellensburg is where I live,” Brett said. “Eugene is [my] home.”