Dr. Hall mourned by friends and family

Mathilde Angeledei, Staff Reporter

Former professor Dr. Raymond Anthony Hall died peacefully in his home of Ellensburg at the age of 69 on Saturday, April 7.

Dr. Hall’s life was worthy of an adventure novel: it was the type of story that you will always remember, that will inspire you and give you strength and courage.   

He was born on March 18, 1949 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Dr. Hall was a Vietnam War veteran and he served in the 173rd Airborne Brigade. After the war, he had difficulty keeping up with university classes and decided to leave for Mexico.

In Mexico, Dr. Hall lived among the aborigines people for many years. He also worked as a deep-sea fisherman and an English teacher. Finally, he came back to the United States and finished his degree. He graduated with a Ph.D from the internationally renowned Folklore Institute in 1999.

Dr. Hall became a devoted professor who taught African American Studies, Folklore, and Cultural Anthropology at DePauw University, the University of Central Arkansas, the University of Tennessee and finally Central Washington University.

Patrick T. McCutchen, a professor in the anthropology department, was one of Dr. Hall’s coworkers.

“Dr. Hall was such a great professor who was very concerned about his students,” McCutchen said. “He could be strict but always here to help, either in your studies or in your personal life.”

According to McCutchen, Dr. Hall’s background made him more than a good teacher; it made him an exceptional human being.

“I remember one day he came back home, he spoke to his wife about students who couldn’t afford food. So, they started cooking for them,” McCutchen said. “Yes, Dr. Hall was this type of human being.”

Dr. Hall was also an advisor within the Brother 2 Brother (B2B) association, an organization established to assist men in excelling academically, socially, culturally, and professionally. B2B also engages in the community, assisting younger males in need of guidance and direction.

Andre Dickerson, Director of the Center for Leadership and Community Engagement and also a member of B2B, knew Dr. Hall well.

“Dr. Hall was kind of like the uncle who you could have the real conversations with,” Dickerson said. “His role was more than an advisor, his role was a direct supporter, an inspiration. He was someone we could look to.”

Every year, Dr. Hall would host an annual barbecue. He would spend his personal money, time and energy on the event, and hundreds of students and faculty members would attend.

“It was more than a barbecue, it was an opportunity for fellowship and to celebrate accomplishments of one another,” Dickerson said.

Michael Luu, a finance major, is a member of B2B. He remembers Dr. Hall fondly.

“Dr. Hall is a great teacher, he did so much for B2B club. He was always there when we asked for help and provided us with lots of resources,” Luu said. “Without his help, Brother 2 Brother would not be the same.”