Reach new heights at Vantage

Micah Chen, Staff Reporter

Photo courtesy of OPR

The annual CWU rock climbing trip by OPR is happening this spring quarter. The climbing will take place at Vantage. According to the LemkeClimbs.com, Vantage Rock boasts over 700 unique routes.

LemkeClimbs.com also stated that Vantage Rock was carved out by erosion during the ice age. When the Lake Missoula floods hit, it carved out what we see today, and now it is used as a rock-climbing destination.

Climbing a rock in nature is different from the indoor wall in the CWU Recreation Center. Climbing leader Melissa Robertson was able to break down the differences between the two styles.

“The climbing that we do for our trip is sport climbing,” Robertson said. “Sport climbing has bolts on the outdoor wall, so you’re putting the ropes up as you go. It does have grip holders on the wall, so that would be the same as it is on the Rec Center wall.”

The Vantage Rock is divided into three different areas. According to LemkeClimbs.com, they are known as the Feathers, Sunshine Wall, and the Middle East Wall. All three parts of the wall feature their unique characteristics.

The Sunshine Wall is the go-to in the winter, as it faces the sun and therefore is much warmer than the other two areas. It also is protected from wind, which can be an issue during spring months.

The Feather area lives up to its name as it possesses the lowest intensity routes. It is most suitable for beginning climbers.

The Middle East Wall acts in opposite fashion to the Sunshine Wall. There is plenty of shade on this route to protect you from summer conditions.

With all these characteristics, Robertson continues to lead teams back to Vantage year after year.

“It’s very convenient, only 35 minutes away, and has plenty of climbing options,” Robertson said. “A lot of other climbing places have their climbs located miles apart, but here at Vantage they’re right next to each other.”

Climbing participant Kenon Jeffers gave his thoughts on why he keeps coming back for the climbing adventure.

“It’s good to get outside, especially with the weather like it is right now,” Jeffers said. I personally find it more interesting than climbing in the gym.

Vantage Rock is aligned with man-made steel rope hangers. This is necessary for belaying climbers. Indoor climbing walls have steel rope hangers inserted already, but they are not organically made in nature. CWU staff have aligned Vantage Rock with steel hangers to ensure safe climbing.

No previous experience is required, as Vantage Rock has plenty of route options for beginners and veterans alike. Even if you don’t feel the need to climb all minutes of the trip, there are plenty of other nature-driven options in this area.

“If you don’t feel like climbing is for you, there’s lots of nature in the surrounding area, lots of sunshine, and plenty of friends to talk to,” Robertson said.

The Vantage Rock climb takes place on two different dates, May 5 and 20. The event runs on both days from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. According to trick coordinator Robertson, anyone is welcome to participate in both rock climbs.

The Vantage Rock Climb will take place 30 miles east of Ellensburg in Vantage, Washington. The cost is $35 per session for CWU students, and $42 for non-CWU students.

Top Rope Belay Certification has been highly recommended by the OPR staff, which you can schedule with the Recreation Center. Robertson emphasized to wear attire that you can move around well in, as that is part of the nature of rock climbing.

If you’re feeling a little intimidated to go on a rock climbing adventure, trip participant Angus Brookes had words on his climbing experience.

“Just about every new climber that’s come on this trip has enjoyed it,” Brookes said. “We’ve had climbers come back on these trips, as well as join us often on the Rec Center wall.”