Observation Deck

Natalie Hyland, Co-Editor

Welcome back to another issue of The Observer.

Natalie Hyland here again to give you a quick overview of some of the changes you can expect as well as a little shameless promotion of the paper that myself and Eric have spent the past two years pouring hours into.

As you noticed last week, our front page looks pretty different. We were so excited to hear what everyone thought and even more excited by the overwhelmingly positive response we got from the community and the communication department.  

The Observer you know will soon become The Observer you knew. We know there have been some spots on our record in the past and we’re working on them.

One rumor we want to dispel first and foremost is that we’re exclusive. We enjoy working with reporters from every major, every year and every interest. If you’re willing to write it, we’re willing to run it.

The Observer is a one-to-three-credit class that meets every Tuesday and Thursday in Bouillon 102 form 4 p.m. to 4:50 p.m. and we teach you everything you need to know about writing and reporting on the job while you get real-world experiences.

By interviewing and writing stories you get to meet people from all walks of life, which I think is one of the coolest parts of being a journalist. In just my time at CWU, I’ve met everyone from mayors and sheriffs to kids raising livestock for the junior livestock auction.

If you’re keeping up with our social media, you know we’ve put out a call for student work. We want to see your comics, drawings, poetry, short stories, or whatever you’re working on. If you’re interested in submitting work you can reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter, or email submissions to [email protected].

In the next couple of issues, we’ll have a brand new section of engagement space featuring you, the students of CWU. Here you’ll find things like Twitter polls, puzzles and an “on this week in history” section.

When that section launches, expect to see us in the SURC Pit celebrating and we invite you to join us.

One of the biggest things Eric and I discussed before our interview last quarter was wanting to give space to the students and community members to display what they spend their time doing. Now that we have the manpower to make it work, we’re getting ready to make it a reality.

Some of you also may not know that we’ve moved into a new, more inviting office in Lind 115 (we even have windows now). You can find us between the Pulse and NewsWatch offices.

In the coming weeks, we’ll be opening our doors and inviting anyone and everyone who wants to drop to do so. We aren’t the stereotypical anti-social shut-ins hunched over computers that some people believe we are.

We would love to be the ones answering the questions for once.

Have a great week!

Natalie Hyland

Co-Editor