BOT holds Sammamish meeting

Eric Rosane, News Editor

The CWU Board of Trustees (BOT) held two sessions last Thursday and Friday at the CWU Sammamish campus to discuss budgeting and finance, academic and student life business, and to examine the professional development and engagement of the campus.

CWU Sammamish is an extension campus that opened fall quarter of 2017. 300 transfer and Running Start students currently attend classes at the campus.

During their time on campus, BOT members got the chance to meet with Sammamish mayor Christie Malchow and city council members.

BOT Member Emily Washines thought it was a great opportunity to meet both the leaders in the community, as well as the students that they’re serving.

“It was really important having the Sammamish mayor and city council member show up to show their support for our learning center,” Washines said.

According to Washines, the board also got an update on the recreation expansion and new residence hall. The hall is set to open fall 2019 and a portion of the expansion is set to open in Fall 2018.

“What a beautiful campus… even in the short time that the branch has been open, you can see the impact it’s made,” said Erin Black, BOT member.

During Thursday’s BOT meeting, members got the chance to discuss retention and re-accreditation, according to Black.

The BOT’s Friday meeting was a short executive session with a general business meeting before dispersing for the weekend.

“Right when I walked on campus, it felt like I was at Central,” Black said. “And that’s so important.”