Brazilian composer to perform with jazz band

Courtesy of ruicarvalho.com

Rui Carvalho, Brazilian composer and arranger, will perform tonight alongside excited students in the CWU Jazz Band 1.

Suzie Chavez, Staff Reporter

The CWU Jazz Band will present a concert of arrangements by Brazilian jazz composer and arranger Rui Carvalho.

According to Chris Bruya, the Director of Jazz Studies at CWU, Carvalho is from northern Brazil, and currently resides in Manaus, the capital of the state of Amazonas, Brazil. Carvalho worked in music education before moving to Manaus where he taught Music Conservatory in Tatuí, Brazil.

In Manaus, he founded and coordinated a jazz music program at the Amazonas state conservatory, as well as coordinated the music program at the State University of Amazonas (UEA). Carvalho has earned a doctoral degree in Ethnomusicology from UNICAMP in São Paulo state, Brazil, as well as a master’s degree in arranging from the same university. Carvalho also leads the Amazonas band.

According to Bruya, the Amazonas band is a local big band supported by the Amazonas State Culture Department. The Amazonas band was constituted by the Secretary of Culture of the Government of the State of Amazonas in 2000, with the aim of disseminating, preserving and encouraging the creation of instrumental popular music, privileging the associated strands in this field to the Brazilian cultural legacy, as well as jazz, pop music and various other genres.

Since 2006, Carvalho has also been serving as the artistic Director of Amazonas Jazz Festival. Over the years, the unit has hosted American solo artists such as Bob Mintzer, David Liebman, John Fedchock and Brazilian artists Steve Mostovoy and Vinícius Dorin.

“I’m excited to be performing with Rui Carvalho,” Adam Benabid, a senior at CWU studying music, said. “The CWU Jazz Band has been practicing and working really hard together for the performance happening this upcoming Thursday.”

Prior to performance, Carvalho will be presenting an exhibit at 1 p.m. in the McIntyre Music Building in room 159. The exhibit will be on Brazilian percussion and jazz performance practice following a question and answer. This event is open to the public.

“Everyone should take advantage of this opportunity,” Spencer Manning, a junior at CWU studying music, said. Manning will also be performing with Carvalho in the evening. “Everyone should be exposed to music as much as they can and this is a great opportunity, whether you are planning on going to the exhibit or the performance or both.”

The CWU Jazz Band will perform some of its usual repertoire, including “Stella by Starlight” and “Shiny Stockings,” then bring Carvalho to the stage and perform his arrangements of well-known tunes such as “Girl from Ipanema,” “No More Blues,” “One Note Samba” and “Triste.”

“I am so excited to be playing with Rui Carvalho,” Henry Sparks, a senior studying music education, said. “We don’t get enough Latin Jazz education here at Central and to be working with a famous Brazilian jazz composer is an exciting opportunity.”

The concert will take place at McIntyre Hall in the music building at 7 p.m. This event is free and open to the public.  Feb. 15