Events and love on Valentine’s Day

Courtesy of Paxons

Valentines day hearts on wooden background

Bryce Jungquist, Staff Reporter

Flowers, heart-shaped candy, large balloons and teddy bears. Valentine’s Day is a holiday that focuses on love. Restaurants can expect to have a few patrons celebrating the occasion by going out for a fancy meal,but what if someone wants to stay inside?

CWU Campus Activities is hosting a Valentine’s Day Bash Smash.

Ryann Mosher, special events coordinator for Campus Activities, said that the event is for students. She said Campus Activities doesn’t mind if people want to stop by and leave after hitting the piñata several times.

She also said the inspiration for the event is the movie “Valentine’s Day” where everyone gets dumped. All of the characters end up going to a restaurant for an Lonely Hearts Club party and beat up a large heart-shaped piñata.

Mosher said many people are stressed at this point of the year, because those who are single on Valentine’s Day most likely concentrate on finding a relationship.

“If you’re single,which has been a reoccurring thing in my life, [it can feel like] so many people are around you in relationships and happy and the stress just hits you. [The event is] like having a way for letting your stress out while also having fun. I think [that] is really important, especially as college students,” Mosher said.   

Mosher said the event will most likely appeal to singles, but encourages everyone to come.  She said if people go into the SURC with their partner, they won’t be barred from participating.

Mia Patterson, special events coordinator at Campus Activities, said she has always felt indifferent regarding Valentine’s Day.

Mosher said she spends the holiday relaxing, sitting indoors and not partaking in much.

“We thought, why not target people that are going to be in the SURC on Valentine’s night instead of out to dinner with their significant others,” Mosher said. “Hit some piñatas and eat some dessert. I think we have [around] nine piñatas to beat up.”

There will be free dessert at the event and a chance to strike a piñata.