Students march for Dream Act post-government shutdown

Xander Fu

Liliana Fausto and other demonstrators perform chants in the SURC.

Xander Fu, Staff Reporter

A vocal group of about 20 students organized by Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán (MEChA) marched in support of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients at 3 p.m. on Feb. 1,.

The protest, in near entirety, was documented, livestreamed and displayed on social media by its members.

Their proclaimed purpose was to get people to call Washington State representatives Dave Reichert and Dan Newhouse and Sen. Maria Cantwell and urge them to support the DREAM Act.

The protesters began chanting and marching with signs in the SURC before making their way to the corner of East University Way and North Wildcat Way. They were there for about 30 minutes. Cars would sometimes sound their horn to show support of the cause.

Through the rainy weather, protesters then made their way north to arrive at the grass lawn between the Psychology Building and the Language and Literature building. More people joined in along the way, including an entire anthropology 444 class.

Once on the grass lawn, they formed a circle and individuals began sharing personal life stories regarding how important the DREAM Act was to them.

The DREAM Act was set to be voted on Jan. 19, but due to a three- day government shutdown, an effective verdict was not made. However, Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell has agreed to bring the DREAM Act to the table come Feb. 8.

They shared stories of relatives being deported and how fear of deportation had affected their lives.

“I’m love my family. I’m here to fight for them,” co-president of MEChA Giovanni Severino said. He added, “[My parents] gave me life and opportunity. I want to give that back.”

“My dad came here undocumented and he did not fight for all of this for him to have a chance of getting deported.” Jessica Hernandez, student protester and MEChA member said.

At 4:40 p.m., the original group of protesters returned to the SURC to march through one last time that night.

Although the SURC was far from full capacity, several students who were sitting at tables vocally expressed their support.