Central chimps may be transferred to Canadian sanctuary

By  PATIENCE COLLIER, SANTOS HERRERA, DEREK SHUCK

The fate of the remaining two chimps in the Chimpanzee Human Communication Institute has been decided by the Friends of Washoe board, which voted to seek sanctuary for the two chimps in Canada. The board includes primary researchers and members who were local residents but no longer reside in Ellensburg, according to Gregory Beach, chair of the board.

The Fauna Foundation Chimp Sanctuary in Quebec has applied for a permit to house Tatu, 37, and Loulis, 35 the in Central’s Chimpanzee Human Communication Institute.

According to Kirk Johnson, dean of the College of Sciences, the sanctuary is relatively small, housing 12-15 chimps.

It also shares many ethical values with the CHCI, including a focus on a one-on-one approach.

Beach told the Observer that the organization hopes to move the chimps within 90 days , and Friends of Washoe doesn’t plan to bring any more chimps to Ellensburg.

Even with the legislature’s help the CHCI wouldn’t receive new chimps for at least another 12 months.

“It would be an unhealthy situation for the welfare of the chimps,” Beach said. “Isolation isn’t good for them.”

In a letter to Faculty Senate earlier this year, Bonnie Hendrickson, asscociate director for CHCI, expressed concern over moving the chimps.

Issues include putting the elderly chimps under anesthesia, and the required extended holding period before integration.

On Tuesday, Johnson told The Observer that no decision had been made regarding the future of the chimps; however, according to Beach, the decision to move them was made last week.

According to Linda Schactler, director of public affairs, students would not be affected by the move, as the institute still has 20-30 years of video tapes and notes to continue to work with.

After the deaths of Washoe and Dar, Central began debating whether they should bring in new chimps or move the remaining two. It had become clear that  Central would need to expand the center in order to maintain it, due to accepted standards of care.

A remodel of the facility would have cost at least an estimated $1.9 million.