Keller, Fettig and Mack qualify for NCAA Division II outdoor national championships

By CHELSEA BRONN, staff reporter

The Wildcats will send three stellar first-time competitors to the NCAA Division II Outdoor National Championships, which is held in Pueblo, Colo.

The three-day meet will take place from May 23-25.

With three qualifiers, Central is sending the most athletes to nationals since 2010.

Senior javelin thrower Braden Keller, senior triple jumper Bryan Mack and sophomore high jumper Tayler Fettig will departed from Ellensburg on Tuesday on their way to Pueblo.

Head coach Kevin Adkisson is hopeful that each of the athletes have a chance at garnering All-American honors.

“Braden and Tayler are ranked in the top six or seven,” Adkisson said. “Top eight is the scoring places that earn All-American. [Mack] is ready to do something big. He’s shooting to break a school record. They all have a lot of potential.”

Keller has been steady throughout the season and his throwing career, consistently throwing over 210 feet, which would bring him All-American honors.

Keller believes he has the potential to throw in the 230-foot range at nationals.

After a rough finish at the GNAC conference meet, Mack is looking to redeem himself at nationals.

After winning the long jump title and finishing second in the 100-meters, Mack finished third in his strong suit: triple jump.

“You can’t hold yourself back,” Mack said, “you have to go balls out. I want to place in the top-seven, to be an All-American.”

Mack won’t have that chance until Saturday. In the mean time, he’s going to try and keep a level head.

“I’m hoping that I can stay focused since I will be there for four days prior to when I compete,” Mack said.

As a senior, Mack is glad to to wrap up his college career with a national appearance.

He is considering training for the U.S. track and field team and has aspirations to coach someday.

Fettig is also aiming for All-American honors.

“This opportunity is such a blessing and I am so thankful to have it,” Fettig said.

Fettig plans on doing a little sightseeing while in Colorado to help calm her nerves before her event.

“I want to see Hangover Three,” Fettig said while laughing.

Fettig’s strong faith and belief in herself will help drive her to her goals.

“I measured six feet up on my wall and tapped a line around my room,” Fettig said. “I wrote bible verses and believe along the line, to keep me motivated.”           This is the mark she is looking to receive at nationals.

These top three athletes are on track to have some great performances to wrap up their 2013 track and field season. The Wildcats will be competing alongside with 33 other GNAC athletes at the championships.