Wildcats shut out BYU on senior day

Jack Belcher, Staff Reporter

Xander Fu
CWU Women’s Rugby collides with their Life University competitors during a home match. The women are currently 4-3.

Women’s rugby shut out the Brigham Young University Cougars at home on Oct. 28 in their final home match of the fall season. It was also the day the team recognized the nine seniors on the pitch.

Before the game started, there was an announcement made asking for the families of the seniors on the team to come to the center of the field for the honoring ceremony.

Once everyone was gathered, a man with a microphone started calling the names of the seniors one by one. When each player heard her name, she ran to midfield to be with her family.

“We try to create a positive experience,” interim head coach Trevor Richards said.

Once the match started, CWU quickly took the lead, scoring their first try within the first five minutes by senior Ashley Rolsma. After that, CWU just kept scoring until the end of the match, with a final score of 55-0.

Ten of the 55 points were earned by senior Samantha Pinson, who had a season high two tries in the game. Senior Emma Leonard also had a standout performance with a total of five completed conversions for another ten points.

The victory was the largest victory margin the team has had all year and also puts the team’s record at 4-3 for the season.

Pinson has been with the team for four years and says she isn’t looking forward to leaving at the end of the season.

“I was really nervous to come in with a bunch of new girls, but every single person here made the team feel like a family,” Pinson said. “Coming back season after season, and seeing the same girls and growing the team, it has just been kinda a really good experience.”

Rolsma has a similar story, she has also been on the rugby team since she came to CWU as a freshman four years ago.

Like Pinson, Rolsma believes that the team has been improving after every game. The team is taking what they learn in each game and focusing on it during practice, which helps the team grow.

“I’ve made a lot of good friends here,” Rolsma said. “We have been through a lot as a team, and it has been a really good four years… the experience has been one of a kind.”