Sexapalooza hits SURC tonight

By CONNIE MORGAN, staff reporter

The annual Sexapalooza symposium will take place tonight in the Student Union and Recreation Center, room 137 A and B at 6 P.M. The event is free and is aimed at students who want to learn more about relationships, sex health and culture.

This will mark the third year the Residence Hall Association will put on the event. The event will include interactive booths and tables hosted by various clubs and organizations on campus. This year also saw an increase in overall involvement of residence halls in the event.

Chloe Hildeman is the secretary for RHA and also runs the RHA Community Service Committee is in charge of the event this year.

“This year we are trying to focus much more on education,” Hildeman said. “Not so much about entertainment, but about education and entertainment.”

With a focus on sex education, Sexapalooza will offer information from many different perspectives. A variety of topics ranging from the sex trade to contraception will be covered. The Family Studies Club, Sociology Department, Feminist Club, EQUaL and National Residence Hall Honorary are just a few of the groups who will host Sexapalooza activities.

Colin Young, Vice President of RHA and Nationals Communications Coordinator is hosting a table all about sexually transmitted infections as a part of the RHA social and academic committee. As part of the planning committee for this event, Young expressed that there is something for everyone at the Sexapalooza.

“We’re offering a smorgasbord of options,” Young said. “You can pick and choose what information you’d like to receive.”

The goal of this program isn’t to preach or make feel students feel uncomfortable. The idea is that with peer education, students won’t feel judged or misguided in any way.

While the goal of Sexapalooza is education, students will have ample opportunities for fun. Activities scheduled for the event include sex Jeopardy, crafts and science experiments.  There will be prizes are available including candy and condoms galore.

“It’s going to be a really good symposium of sexual information,” Hildeman said. “It’s all about our ideas and how they relate to sex in the modern age.”