Campbell heads to Spain for 10 days

Campbell heads to Spain for 10 days

Kailyn Campbell takes a swing at a photoshoot with a photographer at Frederick Field.

Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Rachel Greve, Staff Reporter

CWU senior softball star Kailyn Campbell will be continuing her softball career overseas for the second time in the past year.

Campbell has decided to go play softball for close to ten days in Spain this summer following her graduation from CWU.

She will be playing for a foundation called ‘Beyond Sports’ a company that is an international education and service-learning organization that uses sports to create cross-cultural relationships and sends athletes of all sports to different countries around the world to play the sport they love while helping a cause.

“I got another email from [them] about another tour and really enjoyed the last one so I thought it would be another great opportunity,” Campbell said.

Starting her journey off in Barcelona, Campbell will be leaving June 14, just four days after graduation, visiting Montserrat, Valencia, and Madrid before her return nine days later.

But, she doesn’t think she will end her softball career there.

“I am thinking about actually playing overseas for real. I don’t know a lot of details about it yet but I should soon,” added Campbell.

Campbell finished her college career with a school record, and numerous GNAC and regional titles to add to her name. The last being D2CCA West Region Player of the Year.

Campbell helped lead the team to a GNAC conference title this season and to the NCAA Super Regional championship game last season before losing a tough series to Azusa Pacific in California.

“[I want] to help grow the game of softball in other parts of the world and taking another chance to potentially have an amazing experience of a lifetime,” Campbell said.

Last summer Campbell spent a few weeks in Cape Town, South Africa with another one of her teammates, Sammy Morris.

“I think this trip is with some of the people that also went to Africa. It’s not quite as long. Spain is a lot more populated than the part of Africa that we were in and I feel that it will just have a different feel and different dynamic,” Campbell said.

Although the trip will be shorter, and Campbell will be missing one of her best friends she can’t wait for all of the memories she will make with other women who share the same passion as her.

Campbell will return from Spain June 23 before deciding if she wants to continue her career overseas in a professional softball league.