CWU participates in the Big Read

Reed Phillips

The National Endownment of Arts is sponsoring the Big Read which takes place in the Brooks Library on April 25.

Natalie Baldwin

For the rest of spring quarter, CWU will be partnering with the community to host a variety of events as part of the Big Read.

The Big Read is supported by 75 community programs and is focused around one book. When the community receives an NEA Big Read grant they will also be provided resources on how to get the community engaged.

CWU is participating in the Big Read, which is sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). The book that the James E. Brooks Library will be focusing on is “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien.

The kickoff to the Big Read began in January with a display of the book and will conclude with a short reading by the students from the Advanced Fiction Writing class with the theme of “the things we carried.”
That event will take place on April 27 at 1 p.m. in the museum lobby located in Dean Hall.

CWU is the only school in Washington State to receive the Big Read grant worth $17,000. O’Brien’s book was picked to “bring honor and recognition to our veterans – those on and off campus,” according to a press release on CWU’s website.

Gerard Hogan, who works in the Brooks Library, is excited to have CWU be a part of this. Hogan was the one who sent off an application for CWU to take part in the Big Read.

When asked how the turnout has been at previous events, Hogan wished they had larger turnout of students.

Some of the events include movie showings involving the Vietnam War like “Hearts and Minds”. The next movie will be on April 20 in Black Hall (RM152) starting at 6 p.m.

“It’s a powerful documentary that everyone should watch, especially college students,” Hogan said.

Hogan wants Central students to learn more about the Vietnam War and the struggle young people faced back in the 60’s.

“The Things They Carried” is a collection of linked short stories revolving around the Vietnam War.

When speaking to Hogan, he mentioned that it reflects what is going on in our world right now.

When asked what the community should get out of this event, Hogan hopes that people can come together. One event that Hogan is excited about is called “60’s Songs of Protest and Peace”.

The event will feature the Ellensburg Women’s Choir and Notable Exceptions performing. The event will take place on April 21 at 7 p.m. at the Hal Holmes Center.