Egbert shines on first year with team

Alanna Inzunza, Staff Reporter

Transferring from Oregon State, Savannah Egbert has gotten the chance to become a part of the CWU softball team. Being able to play this year has given her a new role on the team.

Her softball career has taken off since arriving to CWU. Egbert was the catcher for the Oregon State team,but has taken on the third base position here at CWU.

“I’m really proud of how she’s embraced the position change,” head coach Mike Larabee said.

The recruitment process for Egbert was pretty quick.

“I came and I just tried out with coach Larabee and [he] offered me a spot on the team and I took it,” Egbert said.

At the age of 10 years old, Egbert joined her first softball team. While in high school, she joined Connell High School’s softball team and a club team. She won two state championships, a highlight of her high school career. 

“I knew I wanted to play college all throughout high school,” Egbert said.

Last year, Egbert got the chance to learn the in’s and out’s of the team.

“She gotta willingness to learn, a teachable spirit,” Larabee said.

First base senior Kailyn Campbell thinks Egbert is a good addition to the team.

“[Egbert] has a great personality on top of that she’s a great player too,” Campbell said.

This year, Egbert’s success includes 21 runs and 26 home runs in the last 26 games. Having done so well on the field has helped Egbert build connections with her team.

“I feel a lot more part of the team being able to play” said Egbert.

Campbell has also seen Egbert’s hard work pay off on-and-off the field.

“We’ve gotten to know her a lot more this year, she traveled with us I think once with us last year but she’s been playing a lot more and playing really well,” Campbell said.

Larabee sees her many talents.

“She’s a triple threat,” Larabee said.

Egbert has a bright future ahead of her in the years to come.

“She’s got a good head on her shoulders. I’m sure whatever field she gets into she’ll be real successful,” Larabee said.

Through this year, Egbert has learned a lot from coaches here at CWU and coaches along the way.

“My coaches are super awesome here and I love all my teammates,” Egbert said.

One of the best pieces of advice she ever received helped her learn to always think positive.

“We talk about a one and [zero] mentality and winning every game we play than going to the next one and being one and [zero],” Egbert said.

Egbert loves CWU and is excited for what’s to come when they face opponents again in the second round of GNACs.