Levin continues to succeed on mound

Jake Levin throwing a pitch during his three-run, complete-game performance against Montana State University Billings.

Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Sabrina Wheelhouse, Staff Reporter

Due to his size and athleticism, most people would think he is a basketball or football player. At 6-foot-5, Jake Levin plays first base and is a pitcher for the CWU baseball team.

Levin has been a huge part of the team’s success so far this season for the team, nabbing Pitcher of the Week for Feb. 6 and March 27.

“Jake does a good job on the mound for us while also playing first base and hitting,” head coach Desi Storey said. “He pitches well and plays first base great for his size so the big thing is to keep him healthy and as long as he is consistent and does his things on both ends we see him continuing to be a big contributor for this season.”

Levin began playing baseball as soon as he could pick up a bat.

At 6 years old, he began to enjoy the sport more and knew that it was the one for him.

“I’ve always been best at baseball and just went with it,” Levin said.

He was also very intrigued by the major league players and always found himself watching whatever game was on.

He continued his baseball career at Redmond High School in Redmond, Washington. During his junior year, his team was ranked in the top 50 in the nation. Although his senior season didn’t have the outcome he wanted, Levin knew that he still had college to look forward to.

Before coming to CWU, Levin was recruited to Chapman University in California. He spent one year there but did not feel it was a right fit for him so he got in contact with the coaches at CWU.

“I called Desi Storey up one day and asked for a tryout,” Levin said. “He felt I would be a good addition to the team here and I felt like I could call this place home so here I am today.”

Kyle Stahl, senior utility player and a teammate of Levin, said that he is “a natural born leader” and always making sure everyone is doing their best while also having fun.

“He really pushes his teammates to do good for themselves and for the success of the team,” Stahl said.

Levin has had a great season so far with the Wildcats and looks to continue being successful both on the field and in the classroom.

“There’s something about winning that is fun and makes this sport worth it and want to continue playing, that’s why I love it so much,” Levin said. “Also seeing former teammates play in the Major Leagues is motivation to keep doing my best every time I step onto the field.”