Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

The CWU men’s rugby team breaking after practice ends including junior prop Darren Cooper (blue). The team is currently 5-0.

Jack Lambert

Jack Lambert

Diamond Martin, Staff Reporter

The CWU men’s rugby team headed out to Las Vegas on February 28 for the Las Vegas Invitational. This will be an important tournament for them because of the many games in a short timespan.

Junior scrum-half Simi Ratukalou is excited about this tournament and feels very confident with his team representing CWU in Vegas.

“I wouldn’t want to be on that field with anyone body else besides these group of guys,” Ratukalou said.

Ratukalou mentions how he is not nervous about the
invitational.

“We have been in this situation a couple times. We will just have to take one day at a time and trust the process,” he said.

He was born and
raised in the Fijian Islands where he fostered a passion for rugby, in part because his stepdad was a
rugby player.

“After my first rugby game, I fell in love with the sport. Not that is a rough and violent sport, but there is much more to it. It made a man out of me at a very young age and it is such a humbling game,” Ratukalou said.

He is mentally and physically ready for whatever happens at this tournament.

“There will be a lot of good competition out there for us. We have been preparing very well even with our current conditions of practicing indoors. We will play one game at a time and treat every game like it’s the cup final,” Ratukalou said.

Much like Ratukalou, his fellow teammate, senior hooker Vili Toluta’u has the same motives and ambition.

Toluta’u has been playing rugby for 12 years. His older brother Samuela played rugby all over, so he figured he would tag along and see why his entire family loved the sport.

Toluta’u is pumped at the same time for this upcoming tournament.

“I know the brothers [rugby guy] are feeling the same way as me. It’s been awhile since we played sevens so I know our speedsters like Cam Marek and Dominic Lindstrom, and many other boys can’t wait to show off their speed,” Toluta’u said.

This tournament will put the team to the test.

“I am nervous, yet ready to take on the challenges. We haven’t been playing sevens for quite some time now but we are up for the challenge. The weather in Ellensburg isn’t on our side right now, so we really must overcome adversity and use our spare time in Vegas to get out on the pitch and getting our structure for sevens,” Toluta’u said.

The goal for this tournament is to win because it is a qualifier for a nationally televised tournament called the Collegiate Rugby Championship, which would be quite an accomplishment for the team.

1 Comment

One Response to “Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas”

1. Bernard Couchman on March 3rd, 2017 2:04 am

Hi
    I just read your article.

My name is Bernard Couchman, owner of H2OBoy.ca, thank you for reporting on Rugby, it’s important for people to know about Rugby. I have some clients that are participating at the tournament this weekend and I’m trying to raise their profile. Do u like Rugby or was it an assignment? In the event that you do like Rugby which is hard because you can only Love Rugby. Lol.

Do you know of any business that can benefit from Rugby this weekend and my clients Global achievement and status?

How Would you like to have an exclusive interview with my clients? One is an Fast Olympian and the other is a 7 time World Rugby Champion. I’m sure this is a win win for reporters like your selfs.

Have a great day!!!

[Reply]

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Rugby plays last tournament till fall

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

General

CWU athletes give back to community

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Rugby heads to Canada undefeated

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

CWU men’s rugby has eye on the prize

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

CWU’s Manoa a force on rugby pitch

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

World-traveler ends up at CWU

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Wildcats take on familar foe in BYU

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Wildcats use hashtag to unite team

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Thornley hired as new rugby coach

• Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas

Rugby

Tony Pacheco leaves CWU rugby

Rugby prepares for scrum in Vegas