CWU brings young team to the plate

Xander Fu

The cold weather has not stopped the baseball team from getting their full workouts in, holding practice in the Auxiliary Gym.

Simo Rul, Staff Reporter

The CWU baseball team is preparing to kick off their 2017 season.

The Wildcats are coming off of a 27-23 season where they finished one game away from winning the GNAC. According to the GNAC coaches poll they are predicted to finish third in the conference this season.

Head coach Desi Storey stressed the importance of playing well at the start of the season. .

“I think obviously with the conference not having an automatic berth yet for our champion, especially the California trips, we need to play well down there,” Storey said.

With the new season just weeks away, the team will rely on leadership from the upperclassmen.

Senior catcher and shortstop Kyle Stahl echoed that he is going to have to be a leader.

“We got a lot of young talent coming in,” Stahl said. “I feel like being a leader and helping all these new freshman coming in, like it’s going to be a big role for me.”

Junior pitcher Mackenzie Gaul is one of the returning players. Gaul had a 2.13 ERA in 15 appearances and 55 innings pitched.

“Pitching is going to be crucial to start the year,” Gaul said. “It’s good to get a hot start to start the season, who knows? We may not do that because we have a bunch of freshman. We may peak later in the season, which might end up being a better thing for us.”

The Wildcats came within a game of winning the GNAC title last year; the goal for 2017 is the same.

“We were obviously extremely close to getting into the playoffs last year, the expectation is still [to] strive for league championships,” Desi said.

The Wildcats were also one of the best hitting teams in the GNAC last season hitting .312.

Stahl batted .379. He has an impressive goal to reach.

“Coach Desi already wants me hitting .500 and I’m like, ‘That’s a pretty good goal to strive for,’” Stahl said.

The Wildcats open up the season with a four game series versus California State University East Bay in Hayward, California. The Pioneers finished with an overall record of 33-22 and 21-16 in the CCAA. In addition, the Wildcats first 10 games will be played on the road.

The Wildcats home opener will be a four game series starting on March. 4 versus Saint Martin’s University. The Saints finished last in the GNAC with a 12-28 record, 15-35 overall.