CWU expands to Sammamish

Bryce Jungquist, Staff Reporter

CWU is looking at Mars Hill Church in Sammamish, Washington as an instructional site. If everything works out by spring, fall 2017 would be when they want it to open according to Provost And Vice President For Academic And Student Life at CWU, Katherine Frank.

“At this point, we have signed an [Memorandum of understanding] (MOU) with the City of Sammamish. We are currently working on the lease agreement as well as paperwork required by our accrediting agency: the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, “ Frank said.

A MOU is an agreement between two parties to take a common line of action.

Frank said that they want to abide by the essentials of students in the Ellensburg and Sammamish area and are considering offering running start, alternative pathways to teaching and other programs.

CFO/Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs at CWU, Joel Klucking said the church went upside down about five years ago. He also mentions that it was purchased by the city years later for the purpose of having a four-year educational facility.  Klucking further stated that the structure would not be hard to change to fit the needs of an instructional site.

He indicated that the former church could only operate with a few different functions because of the wetlands nearby. Frank said, that as a result, they decided to venture into the possibility of this idea and have been excited by the city’s response. She stated that their relationship with the city has them thinking of how the possible instructional site can engage the citizens of Sammamish.

Frank said that if everything works out, they would like to take their time with the location and see if they can offer more after seeing success. She mentions that this may take one to three years. She also stated that tutoring, counseling and hands on experience, are in their minds as of now.

Frank also mentions that there are several CWU centers offering programming throughout Washington, and there is want of a “four-year institution” in Sammamish.  She stated that they assessed the needs of the community and talked with those that are heavily involved within the city.

Klucking said that this past June was when they went and looked at the place and it has been in progress since.