Ultimate frisbee team preps for season

Kofi Asiedu, Staff Reporter

CWU has a lot of interesting club sports, and one of the most intriguing club sports here at CWU is ultimate frisbee club sport. The club first started here at CWU in the fall of 2012.

Senior Vann Berryman, has not only been a player of two years but is also the current team

The official season starts in  winter quarter and goes all the way through  spring quarter. Winter and spring is when the sanction tournaments are held, while other tournaments happen throughout the year.

“We usually play in some tournaments during the fall to help our new guys get acclimated and after those we go to sanction tournaments where we get ranked for performance,” Berryman said.

The ultimate frisbee does not have its own season, and instead they participate in tournaments during the year.

Central Washington ultimate frisbee club team has 22 members. Only seven players are allowed on the field at once; the Wildcats have a deep bench, so players will consistently play and get time on the bench.

If some players are not able to make it to a game due to their busy schedules, there is no punishment because the team has such a large roster. Players are willing to step up in case other players are not able to make it to the games. . Communication with the captain prior to missing a game is very helpful.

CWU participated in “Beaver Brawl” on Oct. 8. Beaver Brawl is an ultimate frisbee tournament held in Oregon.

The Wildcats also entered the University of Washington tournament called “Sundodger” in Burlington at the end of Oct. CWU will be participating in another tournament this January or early February.

Most tournaments are held in Western Washington. The Wildcats are looking to start their own tournament  hopefully this  April or May.

Students are welcome to join the team.

“We usually do first come, first serve. The club is still young so we are just trying to find enough players to stay every year with the other players graduating away. We pretty much take anybody, ultimate frisbee is one of those sports where you do not have to be super athletic to be good, as long as you got the technical things down,” Berryman said.

The team had one of their few tryouts last year, only cutting three people out of the 20 people that tried out.

“For the most part, you can pretty much come out and play and we’ll let you on,” Berryman added.

Students that have free time and are interested in ultimate frisbee should think about joining the team now. Tournaments are happening soon and it is a great way to get a few practices in before sanction tournaments start.