CWU celebrates diversity

CWU gets ready to celebrate its annual Parade of Nations

Will Schorno, Staff Writer

Join the Center for Diversity and Social Justice (CDSJ) as they celebrate the 9th annual Parade of Nations on Nov. 17 in the SURC Ballroom. The Parade of Nations is a personified celebration of diversity across the globe.
This free event is a running reminder of how CWU’s diverse student body uses cultural differences to better understand and come together as people. All cultures are welcome and students are invited to participate by showing pride in their heritage.
The celebratory display consists of culture-specific dances blended with musical performances from societies around the world. A multi-cultural fashion show will also take center stage to illustrate trends and styles originating from all over the globe.
Sunflowers, a local Ellensburg all-female dance group, will perform Indian folk and Bollywood dances from India at Parade of Nations. In addition to the fashion and music showcased at the parade of nations, the Sunflowers hope to liven up an already colorful and diverse show with beautifully choreographed Bollywood dances.
The list of nations currently on the roster to be represented in the parade include: Mexico and the Philippines, among others, though the list is still open for new additions. According to representatives from CDSJ, all cultures and ethnic background are open for representation. CDSJ representatives also said to let them know if an additional cultural background could be showcased in the parade.
The cultures that can be represented do not have to be from a participant’s family background; they can also be one that the participant simply has an affinity for. One of the goals of Parade of Nations is to make sure that all countries and cultures are represented, especially the ones that usually go unrepresented in the world at large.
Right now CDSJ is looking for people who want to participate in the Parade of Nations and is still accepting sign-ups. The sign-up sheets can be found in the CDSJ office in SURC 250-253.554143_10151253755122376_2081431002_n