CWU kicks competition

Natalie Hyland, Staff

So far this season, the CWU women’s and men’s club soccer teams are off to an admirable start. According to CWU women’s volunteer coach Eddie Olivera, the goal for the team this year is to effectively work together and have a winning season.

In order to achieve that goal, Olivera, volunteer coach Jessie Ocampo and captains senior Taylor Morrell, junior Kayla Dosh, junior Kylene Olin and junior Miya Mizoguchi-Mukai are doing their best to keep the team in shape by practicing for two hours, four days a week at the Alder Sports Complex on North Campus.

Their practices include drills like keep away, possession drills and flying changes. But according to CWU junior forward Brandie Vitalich, the hardest part of practice is sprint-jog conditioning because there isn’t any time to rest.

Although the season has barely started, Olivera is already looking to the future of the team years to come.

“[They] will be a really good squad,” Olivera said.

CWU freshman Kelsey Frederick said she “was nervous and anxious” when she joined the team but now she “feel[s] welcomed.” Frederick’s warm welcome to the team could translate to increased confidence for players in the team’s quickly approaching game against WSU Tri-Cities.

The women’s soccer club has faced University of Washington (1-4) with junior Lanie Vinson scoring the lone goal at home. The women also faced Seattle University (4-1) at home, with three goals by right wing Sally Vlas and one goal by center-mid, Lanie Vinson.

On the men’s soccer team, senior captain/coach Joey Castonguay said he is “expecting a win.”

“We came out strong and played well last week,” Castonguay said

The main thing Castonguay hopes to keep in his team’s mind is to play the upcoming game with respect no matter the outcome.

Thus far, the men have bested Seattle University (3-0) with two goals from senior forward and captain Mo Marenah and one goal from freshman forward Ivan Cortes. University of Washington also faced a 3-1 loss at the hands of goal scorers senior Tim Wagner, senior Willy Etienne, and freshman Ivan Cortes.

“This is the best team we have had in the three years I’ve been here,” Castonguay said.

The men’s team looks to advance their 2-0 record this season on Oct. 16 against WSU Tri-Cities, who is 0-2 for the season. The women also look to advance their 1-1 record against the 0-2 women’s Tri-Cities team.

The next women’s home game will be the regional tournament Oct. 29 and 30 at Alder Field 1 at the Alder Sports Complex.Jack Lambert