Sex crime is up in 2016 crime report

The Observer Staff

Students who have been at CWU for more than a year should be used to the occasional phone call or e-mail about a recent emergency incident on campus or nearby.

This system is called CWU Alert and fortunately isn’t used often. Unfortunately, in the recently released Annual Security & Fire Safety Report, sexual crime, and specifically rape is on the rise.

The 2016 report covers the crime statistics for 2013 through 2015. According to the report, domestic violence, stalking, rape and fondling are the on the rise while others are declining.

Rape increased to 13 reports in 2015–over six times the amount in 2014–eight of which occurred inside of campus residences.

Additionally, domestic violence, stalking and fondling have over doubled since 2014 at eight, 17 and four reports respectively. While these reported incidents are on the rise, unreported incidents can be just as numerous.  

The release of the report was in line with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act which mandates that CWU collect, report and disseminate crime and fire data.

It also mandates that for certain crimes and incidents, a timely warning or notification must be put out.

The CWU Wellness Center oversees many events over the year aimed to inform students on consent, healthy relationships and safe sex. Students can report any form of violence through the Wellness Center or even on Central’s website.

“Personal safety begins with education,” President James Guadino wrote in the report. “The Student Wellness Center’s education programs reduce high-risk behavior related to alcohol and drug misuse. The center also provides sexual assault prevention and response services.”

Sexual crimes are unfortunately on the rise, but other crimes are declining significantly.

Burglary reports dropped from 46 in 2013 to 6 last year. Drug and liquor law arrests have both declined since 2014, however drug arrests are slightly up from 2013.

Drug and liquor violation referrals have the largest decrease from 143 and 262 incidents in 2013 to 28 and 69 incidents in 2015 respectively.  

The full report of crimes can be found online at the CWU website.