Somewhere under the rainbow

CWU flies Pride flag on top of Barge Hall

Patrick+Carpenter+speaks+at+the+ceremony+while+other+EQuAl+students+hold+the+flag+that+is+now+flying+above+Barge+Hall.+

Julia Moreno

Patrick Carpenter speaks at the ceremony while other EQuAl students hold the flag that is now flying above Barge Hall.

Julia Moreno, News Editor

The Stars and Stripes and Washington’s Evergreen had a new companion—a Rainbow—on the flag pole high atop Barge Hall on the Central Washington University campus Monday.

The new flag, a rectangle with six bands of bright color, symbolizes LGBTQ pride and was raised to mark the start of CWU Pride Week.

It was the first time the Rainbow flag has flown over Barge Hall, which was built in 1893 and is the oldest building on campus.

“As with all flags it is symbolic of something much greater than its constituent colors, all six of which have meaning,” said Patrick Carpenter, president of EQuAl (Equality through Queers and Allies). “The rainbow itself represents a group whose identities and presentations all work harmoniously together towards their goal.”

Carpenter was one of several people who spoke in the Barge Hall Courtyard prior to the flag raising. He said the flag is raised to the highest point on campus so everything under that flag is now creating a norm that is love, acceptance, and belonging on campus.

CWU President James L. Gaudino said he was happy to see the flag above Barge Hall, which is the university’ main administrative building because “it’s a symbol of the inclusive environment that we have created and want to continue to develop at Central Washington University.”

Gaudino said the flag is a symbol or gesture of the university saying ‘yes you really belong here’ and not only belong here but feel comfortable being on campus as well.

Gaudino was followed by ASCWU board member, Olivia Durham. Durham told a crowd of about 30 people, that groups like EQuAl have shown commitment to the campus and Ellensburg to empower individuals.

The flag will stay up on top of Barge Hall for the rest of Pride Week, which is from Monday May 30 to Saturday June 4.