Tony Pacheco leaves CWU rugby

Zac Hereth, Sports Editor

After six years as head coach of Central Washington University’s men’s rugby team, Tony Pacheco has resigned.

Pacheco, who has been the program’s only coach since its elevation to varsity status in the spring of 2014, leaves his position after helping put CWU’s rugby program on the map as a national-powerhouse.

“I am extremely proud of what we have been able to accomplish over the past ten years, the move we made in 2014 was truly unprecedented,” Pacheco said in a press release from Wildcatsports.com.  “However, I feel that it is time for me to find a different challenge.  I’d like to thank the visionary administration for this opportunity, and thank you to all the people in the CWU Rugby family.”

Pacheco is a CWU alumnus and has been with the program since 2007, when he joined as a volunteer.

The surprise decision comes just under a month after the Wildcats third-straight loss in the semifinals of Penn Mutual Varsity Cup, a tournament that features the nation’s most prominent men’s rugby programs.

“I respect Tony’s decision and want to thank him for the many contributions he made to CWU Rugby and leading the transition of the program from club to varsity,” athletics director Dennis Francois said in the press release.  “The success of the program speaks volumes to the quality of student-athletes Tony has been able to attract to CWU and I am confident that the program is on solid footing as we begin our search for his replacement.”