Softball team set for Super Regional

McKenzie Lakey

GNAC Pitcher of the Year Kianna Wood will be on the mound during the Super Regional for the Wildcats.

Mitchell Johnson, Senior Reporter

After getting his third Gatorade bath of the season, Central softball head coach Mike Larabee should be investing in a rain poncho.

Preferably a Gatorade proof one.

After facing three straight elimination games, Central won its half of the West Regional on Sunday afternoon advancing them to the team’s first ever Super Regional.

The Wildcats faced last year’s runner up Dixie State University in the first game. Coming in Central was 0-5 against the Trail Blazers, which includes being eliminated by Dixie State in the 2014 West Regional.

Central won 2-0 behind junior pitcher Kiana Wood’s two-hit complete game shutout.

“Dixie State is a very potent offensive team,” Larabee said in a post game press conference. “[Kiana’s] location was phenomenal today.”

Throughout the season, the Wildcats have had a way of coming back and winning after falling behind in games, but they couldn’t get that same magic going in game two against Azusa Pacific University.

After falling behind 4-0 after five innings, Central responded with three runs in the sixth, but it wasn’t enough.

“We out hit them 12 to seven, but they got the key hits,” Larabee said.

The Wildcats needed to win three-straight games for their season to continue.

Central was set to face the University of California-San Diego in a rematch from the Tournament of Champions played earlier this season.  The Tritons won that game 3-1.

The Wildcats were leading 6-2 in the final inning, but a late comeback nearly sent the game to extra innings. Central held on and won 6-5.

Next, Central had to beat Azusa Pacific twice in order to advance to the West Super Regional.

The Wildcats had a 4-0 lead after two innings and held that lead until the end in a 7-3 victory.

Senior Brielle Copodonna and sophomore Laura Steiner both hit a three-run home runs.

In the championship game, the Wildcats fell behind 3-0. But behind a two-run third inning, a four-run fourth inning and a three-run sixth inning, Central won 9-6.

“We have a team that doesn’t know how to give up,” Larabee told WildcatSports.com. “They refuse to give in and fight until the last out. I am not at all surprised that we are heading to the Super Regionals, but I am beyond excited.”

On Monday afternoon, the Wildcats took a Key Lime Airlines charter flight from Los Angeles Ontario International Airport to California Redwood Coast – Humboldt County Airport.

The Wildcats (42-15) will take on number one seed Humboldt State University (45-5-1) in a three game series at Humboldt State’s home field where they are 14-0.

Central lost to Humboldt State 8-0 in their only meeting this year.

The Jacks are led by two of the top pitchers in the country.

Junior pitcher Madison Williams leads the Jacks with a 1.24 ERA and a 23-2 record. She has thrown 174.1 innings and has struck out 231 batters while opponents are hitting .187 against her.

Senior Katie Obbema complements her with a 1.51 ERA and a 21-3 record. She has thrown 162.2 innings with 136 strike outs while offenses are only hitting .224 off of her.

Offensively, speedy sophomore outfielder Hanna Holland is hitting .424 leading the Jacks, she also has 65 stolen bases in 70 attempts.

Junior middle infielder Tiffany Hollingsworth is the other significant hitter for Humboldt State. She is hitting .382 with 55 RBIs.

Central counters with a team batting average of .342, tied for sixth in the country.

Humboldt State got eliminated in two games during its conference tournament.

The Jacks have only lost to one team twice—the University of California San Diego—a team Central has beaten.

“We got our work cut out [for us] coming out against Humboldt,” Larabee said. “One thing that I’m 100 percent sure of is our players believe they can win and they’ll never quit.”