OPINION: The Democratic Party is really good at making you envious of Republicans

Jonathan Glover, Editor-In-Chief

On Sunday, a friend and I attended the Kittitas County Democratic Convention in Thorp (of all places) at its high school. Did you know Thorp was big enough to have a high school? I thought it was just a fruit stand.

We didn’t attend by choice – we were delegates, bestowed with the awesome democratic duty to represent our districts at a county-wide convention in support of our chosen representative.

In reality, we had to select delegates for a state convention, and decide on some policies that we liked. That’s about it.

We were told through a text message telling us to be there by noon to register. On the website that closely matched what we had to go to–it told us to be there by 11 a.m.

So I did what any rational person would do, and showed up at noon. And as it turns out, I was early. So early in fact the organizers were not prepared and I ended up being one of the first people to register for the event.

But the convention didn’t start until 1 p.m. (can you imagine if I showed up at 11 a.m.?) and upon reading the official schedule, my friend and I were amazed to see that we would have to be there until at least 3 p.m.

Are you kidding me?

There, we sat in a sweaty, over-filled auditorium the size of a doctor’s office waiting room on bleacher seats that must have been designed for Satan’s asshole. We listened to person after person spout information that could have easily been emailed to us, or at least handed out as a pamphlet or something.

We both left the first chance we could. Now, I just want to say, I’m not proud of that. I’ve been a Democrat for as long as I can remember, and I’d do just about some things for the Democratic party, but this was just ridiculous.

And I didn’t even want to be a delegate. My voting district table had about eight people, and after exchanging awkward glances with everyone, it was pretty clear to me that I would have to don the delegate hat. (My alternate was a Hillary Clinton supporter, so if I didn’t go, she would have to go in support of Bernie Sanders. Poor girl).

One of the older gentlemen even told me that there was no way he could attend any of the conventions, which perplexed me because he was retired.

Oh well.

So I delegated myself and here I am. And I went. But I didn’t stay because I wasn’t prepared for the absolute cluster I ran into on Sunday. I’m not sure if anyone could be.

So why is this important? Because it’s topical, that’s why. Washington is about 20 days away from casting their vote for who they think should represent the Republican party (not that it matters, after Ted Cruz dropped out of the race on Tuesday).

And for a brief second, I considered becoming a Republican. I’m kidding. But seriously, something about caucuses needs to change.

I vote not having them at all. They’re a complete waste of time, and for everyone that has never attended one before (A.K.A. a large percentage of Bernie Sanders supporters) they’re confusing as all hell. Primaries work fine, let’s do those.

Or at the very least, let’s try harder to organize a concise convention?  

I don’t mean to speak ill of the people who organized this –they were all very nice and cordial – but they’d surely share my sentiment.

In other words, being a Democrat sucks sometimes.