Students learn all about fashion

Mikaila Wilkerson, Senior Reporter

The Student Fashion Association, which gives students insight into what the fashion industry is all about, is open to all students who are passionate or interested in the the study of fashion.

Kylie Godat, an apparel, textiles and merchandising senior expecting to graduate at the end of spring, has been the club’s president since January.

“It’s a great place to network,” Godat said.

Godat originally came to Central to get a major in psychology but then she found that she preferred the apparel, textiles and merchandising program more.

The club does a variety of activities such as hosting fashion-related games, connecting with the local community and going on networking trips around the U.S.. Godat said that the fashion association is a way to network within the community as well, as they go to different places around town to consult about fashion within town.

Some of the fashion games in the club involve fashion charades and ‘fab or faux pas’, where the club members decide what designs look good and which don’t. There are also discussions hosted in the club which go into debating what fashion trends look good and what don’t and why that’s so, Godat said.

Some activities in the club also include tie-dying, screen printing and doing spontaneous, fun things such as decorating and carving Halloween pumpkins.

“If you’re considering [joining] it, just do it,” Godat said.

Joining the fashion club is a way to get students more involved in the fashion industry and it gives students the chance to figure out if this career path is really what they want to pursue.

According to Godat, the club has even met and networked with Zumiez, Brooks Running Shoes, Nordstrom and Harvey’s Handbags, which makes handbags out of seat belts.

Every year, the entire association goes on a trip. The destination rotates between Los Angeles, New York and Las Vegas. During their trips, the club checks out design showrooms and they network with the companies they go to.

One of Godat’s favorite memories while being in the club was from a trip to Los Angeles. While there she got to spend a lot of quality time bonding with her fellow club members. She also met her best friend while in the Student Fashion Association.

“I even tried to get my boyfriend to come to the club,” Godat said.

According to Godat, Amanda Fronckowiak, who is the vice president for the association, will be a student designer in the June 4 fashion show.

The Student Fashion Association meets every Tuesday from 5:30-6:30p.m.. Godat encourages people to come and sit in on the meetings if they are curious or want to see what the club is all about and what all it does.

“Try it out and see what major you’d want to look at,” Godat said.