One thing certain at Central: bad parking

Clarissa Posner, Staff Reporter

Parking services at Central has upset many students because of a lack of parking spots during busy times throughout the day. It has been an ongoing controversy and there has been both negative and positive feedback from students and faculty.

“Parking on campus seems to be a complete hassle for everyone. I don’t have a parking permit because they are expensive, and you still aren’t promised a parking spot near your class,” said Alison Fisher, a junior elementary education major.

This has been a common issue for many students and makes many of them question the system and if buying a pass is worth the money.

Students with parking permits from September to June are required to pay $193 to park in Central’s lots. There is also the option to pay quarterly as wanted, which costs $96 for fall, winter and spring, and $80 for a summer quarter parking pass.

There are 19 permit required parking lots around Central’s campus.

During weekdays, permits are required for lots from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..

After 4:30 p.m. it is available for anyone to park in the lots, however parking is not available from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Weekends do not require cars to have permits to park as well.There are a total of four free lots in which anyone is able to park in.

“A lot of people end up having to circle around the parking lot several times before finding a spot and are sometimes late to class,” Desiree Mix, senior sociology major said.

Students also expressed the upside of having a parking permit, especially during winter quarter.

“You can drive to class when it’s raining so you are not drenched from rain or snow when you get to class. You don’t have to worry about parking tickets with parking passes as well,” Desiree said.

However, some students have expressed that difficulties finding parking spots have negatively affected their education because they are late to classes.

“People are late to class all the time due to not being able to find a parking spot, and then it interrupts the whole class and the individual’s education. The school should create another parking lot near campus, or at least lower the cost of parking passes since students aren’t promised a spot everyday,” Fisher said. “I personally do not think parking passes are worth it, and would rather spend the time walking to and from class.”