The man behind the march

Chris Davis, middle, holds up a Bernie Sanders sign outside of the SURC

Courtesy of Shanai Bemis

Shanai Bemis, Contributing Writer

It’s just about lunchtime and students are starting to flock to the SURC. As they pass by, they see student Chris Davis, tall with brown hair, a flannel shirt and a tan jacket, along with  several other campaigners outside the doors holding pro-Bernie Sanders signs.

Tyler, a Trump supporter tells Davis, “I just don’t like anyone else.”

Davis replies, “Bernie Sanders is about bringing people together.”

Tyler leaves several minutes later with a flier in his hand and thoughtful look on his face.

“We’re not anti-anyone [today],” Davis says quietly to his fellow campaigners. “We’re pro-Bernie.”

Davis, a senior history major, is the lead organizer for the Bernie Sanders campaign in Ellensburg. Several weeks ago, he took over as the administrator for the Eburg for Bernie Facebook page.

“For much of my life I didn’t pay attention to politics,” he said. “It wasn’t until I got to college that I understood just how many people are struggling in our nation.”

It was when Davis saw Sanders announced his presidential campaign on YouTube that Davis began to have interest in actively campaigning for Sanders.

“He immediately struck me as an unusual politician,” Davis said. “It was like he was speaking directly to the frustrations of millions of Americans who just cannot seem to get ahead. To the people who work long hours for lower wages just to support their families, the people that give up their right to vote because they are sure that nothing will change in their lifetime.”

Since that announcement, Sanders has secured himself a spot as one of two Democrats vying for the Democratic nomination.

So far, Sanders has managed to hold his own in several of the Democratic primaries and caucuses, beating out Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma. Additionally, Sanders won Michigan Tuesday in a huge upset.

However, Clinton has won in 12 states as compared to Sanders’ eight, and has won 1,221 delegates overall, compared to Sanders’ 571 delegates.

Despite these losses, Davis believes that Sanders is the only Democratic candidate who can win an election against the Republican Party and has dedicated a large amount of his time and energy in an effort to convince others of the same idea.

In an average week, Davis spends anywhere from 25 to 30 hours campaigning. The rest of his time is divided between homework, class, reading history and keeping up to date with various news outlets.

A part of his motivation to elect Sanders can also be attributed to his little sister.

“I want to be sure that she can attend the very best college without going into student debt. Currently my family is not in a situation to shell out tens of thousands of dollars to put her through school,” Davis said. “I think that Bernie Sanders is the only candidate who has my sister’s best interest in mind.”

Most Saturdays, Davis can be found in and about the Ellensburg community, spreading the word about Sanders.

This particular morning started at 9 a.m. at the D&M Coffee Shop. Davis sat with several other volunteers and discussed strategies for speaking with the public over coffee and breakfast pastries.

“[Republicans] want you not to care, they want you to not be engaged,” Jonathon Kesler, a volunteer in a black jacket and dark aviator glasses, said between sips of coffee.

Their main goal for the morning was to spread the word about the March 26 caucus for the Democratic Party in Washington State.   

Several hours later, the group had passed out a handful of fliers and spoken with nearly every group of students that passed by.

Despite those who were less than receptive to his words, Davis considers the day a success.

“When I talk to a Hillary supporter or a Republican, I am more interested in understanding their viewpoints than changing their minds. If we start to engage in spirited debate, then I’ll present some facts that I know and I hope they would do the same,” he said. “I find it’s more important to open up a dialogue with people than to compel them to see the world through my eyes.”