Top of his class

Central wrestler Jake Ferris uses past failures and new found faith to strive for greatness

Chase Tibbles/Observer

Jake Ferris takes his opponent down to the mat during Central’s club wrestling practice

Ryan Kinker, Staff Reporter

In 2012, Jake Ferris was a junior at Wilson High School in Tacoma. As a wrestler in the 195-pound weight-class, Ferris made his way to the 3A Washington State Championships, looking to end his season on the highest note possible by winning the title.

Coming into the championship match with a 9-2 lead, Ferris was pinned after five minutes and 53 seconds by Peter Johnson of Bishop Blanchet High School.

“After my loss in the state finals, I was heartbroken,” Ferris said. “I thought I’d never wrestle again.”

However, instead of allowing the loss to defeat him, Ferris used the experience to motivate him for the next season.

The following season, Ferris made the final championship bracket again, but lost in the semifinal match against Kevin Del Angel of Southridge High School by a 10-8 decision.

After high school, Ferris came to Central hoping to join the football team as a walk-on, but was deemed ineligible to play.

Not long after, he found another opportunity to continue his athletic career.

“I saw a flier for wrestling in the SURC and came out and fell in love again,” Ferris said. “It ignited my flame and, look at me, I’m wrestling again.”

Since coming to Central, Ferris has become a Christian. He credits his faith with his return to wrestling.

“Coming to Central, I was able to find Jesus and it was just amazing. It brought me happiness,” Ferris said. “My main reason why I wrestle is to show everyone how blessed I am and how I wrestle for him.”

Ferris has been one of the top wrestlers for Central’s Wrestling Club, finishing first in the 2015 National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) Northwest Conference Championships and fourth in the 2015 NCWA National Championships.

“After the losses, all I could see in the mirror was self-doubt, I wanted to prove myself wrong,” Ferris said. “I took fourth in Nationals last year and I’m still hungry. I still see self-doubt. I’m not going to stop until I’m satisfied.”

Ferris’ fire helps both him and his whole team. Wrestling club senior Andrew Vulliet said that passion is a reason for Central’s excellence this season.

“He really helps the morale. He is the type of guy who you can feed off his energy,” Vulliet said. “He’s loud, he’s positive all the time. He is real motivating.”

The team’s coach, Eric Idler, took the season off to deal with personal matters, placing extra responsibility on Vulliet to keep the team going.

“It’s nice for me because this year’s been pretty rough. [Ferris] can keep morale going,” Vulliet said. “Because when you’re busy doing stuff, you can get discouraged sometimes and it’s good to have someone like Jake who can push the team when I’m not feeling so hot.”

Junior Matt Yuste shares this sentiment.

“Having guys out here with passion is great,” Yuste said. “Jake’s determined, he’s motivated, he does everything to be a champion… He’s going to win it this year.”

On Feb. 14, Ferris placed first in the NCWA Washington State Championships and, this last Saturday, he won the NCWA Northwest Championships.

All this will be a stepping stone for Ferris to reach the 2016 NCWA National Championships in Kissimmee, Florida.