Wildcats look for bats to heat up in Cali

Zac Hereth, Sports Editor

The Wildcats’ baseball team took home two victories on the back half of a two-day, four-game series against Corban University last weekend.

The wins have provided the team some momentum heading into their last series before conference play.

Central, now with a record of 2-3, travels south to face the Academy of Art in San Francisco this weekend for three games.

Sophomore outfielder Jimmy Smith said getting those last few wins was key for the team.

“We’re just trying to set the tempo for the season and trying to get on track and progress as a team so we can be successful in the future,” Smith said.

Senior pitcher Jake Levin helped Central get its first win after giving up just one run in over 6 innings, striking out three batters. The win was Levin’s first as a Wildcat.

“Really good start,” pitching coach Kyle Swannack said. “He threw all his pitches for strikes early…He has a very good demeanor out there on the mound, so I’m looking forward to seeing him start again.”

This is Swannack’s first year as a pitching coach at Central. He previously coached at Tacoma Community College and with the Medicine Hat Mavericks. Swannack was also a graduate assistant at Washington State University, where he played in college.

He’s excited about the staff and coaches he gets to work with.

“I really like the guys we have on the [pitching] staff and the coaches we have to work with,” Swannack said. “Every single one of [our players] are here for a reason. I just want to get the full potential out off all of these guys.”

Head coach Desi Storey has confidence that Swannack is the right man to guide Central’s staff.

“Kyle’s a good baseball guy… He’s got a good background and came from a good program,” Storey said. “Aside from the fact that he is knowledgeable, he has a really good demeanor with the guys.”

Storey has also been happy with the pitching staff all season, but said the offense needs to be more consistent for Central to compete day-in and day-out.

He said the offense showed some positive signs in the last game.

“We weren’t firing on all cylinders, but the team hit well one through nine,” Storey said.

Defensively, the team is breaking in a new shortstop. Sophomore Christopher Dalto will help anchor an infield that was last in the GNAC in 2015.

“Overall, I got along pretty well with the team. I gelled in pretty nice,” Dalto said. “It’s a big deal to get involved and take charge.”