Central’s ‘Mighty Mouse’ who is she?

Nathan Brewster, Staff Reporter

When Central’s women’s basketball team breaks from the huddle, a young woman with her dark hair tied up in a bun emerges from the group.

Jasmin Edwards, starting point guard for the Wildcats, isn’t an imposing figure when she walks out, but her stride shows a confidence that she carries both on the court and in life.

That confidence, along with her determination and work ethic, has earned Edwards the nickname “Mighty Mouse.”

Edwards, a sophomore clinical physiology major, has been passionate for basketball ever since she was little. She even commits most of her spare time to practice.

“I just like trying to catch up and rest,” Edwards said.

It’s that work ethic that earned Edwards the GNAC Freshman of the Year title after having a solid year with 13 points and 4.7 assists per game.  

She has kept that consistency this year and continues to be a major influence on the team. Her game has helped raise her teammates’ level of play.

This season, she is averaging 11 points and 5.3 assists per game.

“She is always even keeled,” head coach Jeff Harada said. “She doesn’t show stress.”

Edwards is known for keeping up superstitions while the team is on a winning streak, like always doing her hair the same way.

Edwards’ love of basketball started with her family. She was introduced to the game by her siblings.

“It was just in my whole family,” Edwards said. “I grew up in a sports family.”

Everett Edwards, her father, was a big reason she started playing from a very young age.

She “probably started in first grade, kindergarten,” Everett Edwards said. “She played at the Alderwood Boys and Girls Club and having her other siblings like her older brother, Anthony, playing certainly helped, too.”

Everett Edwards would later coach Jasmin Edwards and her sister at Lynwood High School.

“Jasmin is a coach’s dream because she is smart and knowledgeable,” Everett Edwards said. “It was a great situation for me because she deserved to be there on the court, which made it easy.”

Harada views her as an essential piece of the team’s transformation.

“On the court, she’s one of those quiet leaders,” Harada said. “She doesn’t say a lot, but her actions have been speaking louder than her words.”

As Jasmin Edwards was choosing between schools, it was the team that ultimately won her over and brought her to Kittitas County.

“I felt really welcomed,” Jasmin Edwards said. “Especially early on, I felt really supported.”

Jasmin Edwards believes the team has grown over the last year and feels that their growth has developed just by playing more games together.

Life isn’t just basketball for Jasmin Edwards; she continues to have aspirations off the court as well.

This year, she was chosen for the GNAC All-Academic Team.

“I just want to take my experiences and take the lessons older players have given me and help others,” Jasmin Edwards said.

Jasmin Edwards’ father also believes that his daughter has the mentality and attitude for her to succeed in life both on and off the court.

“I’m proud just of her overall,” Everett Edwards said. She’s “an all-around kind person. She is a great leader, and I couldn’t be more proud.”

Harada thinks highly of Jasmin Edwards as both an athlete and human being.

“Her biggest attribute is her competitive spirit,” Harada said. “She’s willing to sacrifice her body… She has a punch to her. She’s confident, quiet, but really cares about her teammates.”