Soul and R&B performer coming to Central

Britany Decker, Staff Reporter

The CWUp Late series has another event planned for Central students and the Ellensburg community. Campus Activities is presenting a performance by Jasmine Jordan.

This soul and R&B performer is a close friend to Central senior Samantha Hayes, who has known her since the age of three.

Hayes, event planning major, works at the Publicity Center and used her connections with Jordan to get the singer for a concert.

“I always thought that she was R&B, but really classy like Alicia Keys,” Hayes said.

According to Hayes, their mothers connected over their common German heritage and the fact that they were both military wives.

Fort Lewis neighbors in 1996, Hayes and Jordan formed a friendship that would last years.

“She is amazing,” Hayes said. “Her music is very classy and catchy and fun.”

This event will showcase Jordan’s upbeat style of songwriting that features positive lyrics and quick tempos.

“I think her music is something that everyone can relate to and everyone can enjoy,” Hayes said. “She really is a great performer.”

Unlike most artists, Jordan doesn’t affiliate herself with any certain genre.

“She just sings what she loves,” Hayes said.

Loving music since high school, Jordan sang covers of songs by artists like Drake and Tupac, often posting them to YouTube.

In an interview with Central’s Hype magazine, Jordan talked about why she sings.

“I sing because that’s my release,” Jordan said. “That’s my platform to share my truths. That’s the way I feel l can get back to the world.”

According to Hayes, after Jordan graduated from college, she decided that the time to pursue her music career.

Now touring the west coast, Jordan has come a long way from posting videos on YouTube.

“She is so fun. She is so friendly,” Hayes said. “She puts everyone’s needs before herself and she’s so genuine. She just wants to get to know people and loves chatting.”

Jordan has more than just a passion for music as well.

“God is her number one thing. That’s what she lives off of,” Hayes said. “Her whole family is like that, and she is very family oriented.”

Hayes said she is ultimately just very excited for Jordan’s performance.

“She will definitely be a great Friday night show,” Hayes said.