Amazing Race runs into town

CWU+Center+for+Leadership+and+Engagement+

CWU Center for Leadership and Engagement

Holly Chester, Staff Reporter

The word “tuition” isn’t typically thought to be synonymous with exciting, however, this winter quarter, Central’s Center for Leadership and Community Engagement (CLCE) is attempting to makes it so.

The CLCE is hosting a race on March 4 inspired by the popular reality TV show, The Amazing Race.

The competition features clues that lead competitors to different stops, where they must complete challenges to earn points.

The team that ends the race with the most points will be awarded a tuition waiver of $500 to be split between the two team members. The second place team will receive a $250 waiver.

Senior global affairs major, Elizabeth Vidaurri, is the program leader planning the race.

“We’ve created a series of challenges, either physical or mental on campus and off campus.” Vidaurri said. “It’s just a good way to maximize student’s resources. I know my first two years I was unaware of a lot of things,and looking back now I feel like I could have benefitted from knowing more about Central as well as some places in downtown Ellensburg. It’s a good resource for students to have.”

The competition gives students the opportunity to challenge themselves with a partner, while having a fun time competing against fellow students.

David Higgins, junior supply chain management major, was a part of last year’s winning duo.

He and his partner, Lexcie Linton, were participating for a different reason than other competitors.

“I just started dating a really cute girl, and I was like, ‘This sounds like fun. I really want to do this.’” Higgins said. “My focus was just kind of spending some quality time together, running around doing a scavenger hunt all around campus.”

Before starting the race, they learned the first rule the hard way; you have to travel by foot.

“We were originally going to be riding a tandem bicycle,” Higgins said. “When I got there, we had everything ready, and they said ‘you can’t use any wheels for transportation.’”

Higgin said he had to run home and change all his gear, leaving him with only two minutes to catch his breath and get prepared before the race began.

The biggest surprise came at the end of the race, when Higgins and Linton discovered they were the winners of the race.

“They were announcing first place, second place and third place. And our name was
Team Tandem, like our bicycle. Team Tandem actually ended up winning,” Higgins said. “They said, ‘Here’s your $500 tuition waiver!’ I was totally unaware of the $500 first place prize. “

Higgins enjoyed the race so much, he plans on doing a presentation to the residents in the building he is an RA in to encourage them to participate.

Philip Gohl, a grad student studying information technology management, is helping to find pit stops for the race, create challenges and make sure it’s a success.  

“It will be like last years…They’re all going to disperse into different locations and then they have to complete challenges,” Gohl said. “It’s a way to see different locations that they probably haven’t known of in the downtown area.”

The race isn’t only an activity to get students more involved in Ellensburg local businesses and community. It is also designed to help Wildcats build their leadership skills.

“There are a lot of different ways of becoming a leader, and we try and challenge you in different ways to become a better leader, whether it’s a driver or initiator and it’s just a great way to know what you can do with the parameters you are given,” Gohl said.